Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wifi mesh network

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    I also have the Google Mesh system. One hub and two 'points'. Hub is pretty central to the house, so one point at one end of the house and the other in the apartment above the garage.

Why did we choose the Google system? I saw it at a big box store and brought it home to try.

Current price for the hub and two points is $349.
    The thing I don’t like about the Google mesh system is that, if you read the fine print, you’re giving Google entitlement to all the data that runs through it. If you’re using the system to handle proprietary data, whether business or government or what have you, this can result in some thorny legal issues. I wouldn’t. The same applies to Google-supplied broadband, last I checked.

Google used to have the mantra “Don’t be evil.” Whatever happened to that.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 08-16-2021 at 8:57 PM. Reason: Sp

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    I recently installed Ubiquity NanoHD access points in my house, which are great, but they do require control software to be installed on a computer in your house.
    Can the NanoHD APs not be configured from the Cloud Key interface? (Though I guess that does count as a computer in your house, just not in the sense that most of us think of it)

We changed over last year to the Eero Mesh system and have liked it a lot.....great coverage! We had a 2nd Eero Pro hardwired in my wife's office area as the space is across the screened porch and she HAS to have uninterrupted coverage as she often is doing demos/training customers online of their software. It has worked flawlessly to date. I added another remote node in my shop(below my wife's office space) and now we have very good coverage everywhere.
    Jim

Another happy Eero Mesh user here. Main unit is hardwired in center of basement and have 3 wireless nodes to blanket the first floor (2500 sq feet) and attached garage. Put one node in home office and no issues working remotely with videoconferencing etc. No connectivity issues and happy with speeds. We recently moved into this new house and went from 1GB fiber in town to 150 mbps copper in the country. All Tvs/Xbox etc are connected via CAT6 network ports so only laptops and tablets and other devices are on the wifi. Our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teens) are all happy with connectivity speeds. Previously used an Apple Airport for 2012, so we were also ready for a jump to new technology.

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    ... Google used to have the mantra “Don’t be evil.” Whatever happened to that.
    I'm a cynic I guess, but from where I sit: They grew. It got inconvenient. They got rid of it.

I need to do something as well. But where I live I only get the internet through a cell hot spot. Verizon loves to make it difficult as their JetPacks don't have eithernet ports. So I would need to get a wireless bridge to get a wired connection that then could go to a standard wireless network. At some point I might go with Musk's Starlink to get faster speeds and unlimited data but it would most likely get mounted on my garage so I think a mesh network would be needed. So I'm looking forward to updates as you get a system up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Can the NanoHD APs not be configured from the Cloud Key interface? (Though I guess that does count as a computer in your house, just not in the sense that most of us think of it)
    They can, but I didn't want to spend the $180 for the CloudKey box. I have a PC that doesn't do much and consumes very little power (Intel NUC).

I connected the Tp-Link Deco to the ethernet to the shop today, through an ethernet switch to keep the other ethernet devices out of the equation. A quick configuration with the app and I how have wifi in the shop. Easier to configure than a router. Good strong signal.

I'll add a few more Deco nodes when I get the time.

JKJ

You'll like having the mesh, John...it's so much better than separate APs in many ways.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...