Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of, and opinions on, used lathe - JET 1642EVS

Value of, and opinions on, used lathe - JET 1642EVS

I am looking at the purchase of a used lathe, it is a JET JWS-1642EVS. I think it may be the -2 model which has the 2hp motor. Looks complete but hard to tell from photos. I know they sell for $2800+ new retail, but I really don't know what a reasonable price for a used one should be. I was not really in the market for a lathe YET. I do have an old Delta Homecraft in storage that I was going to set back up for the time being, and eventually look at getting a new lathe that would work well for bowl turning. I have looked at the specs for this lathe and don't see any real limitations from my perspective. It has all the features I'd want.

For those of you who might have one of these, how do you like it? Anything you don't like about it? This will likely be my "forever" lathe so I want something that I can afford but won't regret buying.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

I have one and really like it. Way different than your old Delta.
    A "forever" lathe? Not sure on that, there are nicer and better lathes out there. I would like a Robust or Vicmarc but I can't afford one. I would upgrade if one happens my way for cheap. So it very well could be "my" forever lathe..... Had the choice buying new. 1642 and hollowing rig and tooling or the Powermatic 3520. Don't regret the Jet purchase. I don't miss the extra 4" of swing the mighty PM offers. I do like and use the extra length. IF one happens my way for cheap I'll upgrade and sell the Jet.....

I know of 2 different 1 1/2 hp 1642s that sold in my area about 4 years ago. Both went for $1,000. I bought one, the turning club bought the other one. I bought it because the price was just too good to pass up. It was a backup machine for me, and I have yet to even plug it in. I also have a Oneway 2436 and a Delta midi lathe. Was it a bargain since I have never used it? If nothing else maybe the kids will make a few bucks on it.

I had one for about five years. It was a great starter lathe for me. I ran into a deal on a Powermatic 3520b and it replaced the Jet. I ended up selling the 2 HP 1642 for $2000 in 2016. I was happy with that price at that time. My guess that the current price would be a bit less. The 1642 was a good lathe for me. I prefer the 3520b since it is more stable and lower so it fits me better. The only thing that I didn't like about the 1642 was that off-center turnings at the start of a bowl would rock the lathe more than I liked. The 3520b is much more stable. I did like the length (42") but you can't really use that if you use a chuck or a big live center. $1500 or less would be a great price.

Good luck,
    David

Jon,

I have a two 110v 1642s and they are great lathes. I keep one set up in my shop all the time to complement a PM3520b. Great to have two lathes set up for students and for times when I don't want to tear down a setup on the PM. I also use the 1642 with a threading jig.

You can do everything with the 1642 you can do with a larger lathe with the exception of the 16" swing. Even the 110v version with less power is not a significant limitation, I think. Turning with less power may take more finesse than brute force but that's a better way to turn anyway.

I've had one I bought new almost 20 years ago and the second bought used, maybe 6-7 years ago, can't remember. I paid $1600 for the used one but they are probably less now.

New, the 1642 came with a tool rest, live center, spur drive center, faceplate, and a knockout bar. Before you buy I would want to turn it on and see it run.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Endres View Post
    I am looking at the purchase of a used lathe, it is a JET JWS-1642EVS. I think it may be the -2 model which has the 2hp motor. Looks complete but hard to tell from photos. I know they sell for $2800+ new retail, but I really don't know what a reasonable price for a used one should be. I was not really in the market for a lathe YET. I do have an old Delta Homecraft in storage that I was going to set back up for the time being, and eventually look at getting a new lathe that would work well for bowl turning. I have looked at the specs for this lathe and don't see any real limitations from my perspective. It has all the features I'd want.

For those of you who might have one of these, how do you like it? Anything you don't like about it? This will likely be my "forever" lathe so I want something that I can afford but won't regret buying.

I bought a 1642 around 2008; it was my first fullsize lathe. I love it. I bought a used 3520B when I had a chance, but kept the 1642. I never liked the 3520, so when I bought a new lathe, there was no hesitation. I sold the 3520 (for over 80% of what I had paid) and kept the 1642. Still have the 1642.

Yup, not the fanciest lathe, but good and solid. I think there is an option for 110 or 220 volt wiring on the motor, I would go to 2 hp. I have turned on both of those. I prefer a sliding headstock, which this lathe has. You will love the variable speed!

robo hippy

I bought my 1642 on 2013, great lathe, never had a problem and I use it at least 3 days a week. It’s got better reviews than the newer 1640’s. I be seen several sale over the past couple of years for $1500.

I upgrade 2yrs ago to a PM 3520. Sold my Jet 1642 2hp for $1300 to a friend. That deal included a Robust banjo and a couple Robust tool rests.

I appreciate the feedback on my question. This was an auction lot and it sold for around $1400 with buyer's premium and taxes. A little out of my budget. I guess I'll set up the old Delta and wait for another opportunity.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Was that the one at BOCES in Syracuse that ended last night? I was bidding on it, but I came in second, and second sucks, as Bernie Brzostek the auctioneer sometimes says.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    Was that the one at BOCES in Syracuse that ended last night? I was bidding on it, but I came in second, and second sucks, as Bernie Brzostek the auctioneer sometimes says.
    Yes. I wanted it but I had to stop before my wife decided I was expendable.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

I had been planning to buy a better lathe to use instead of the Shopsmith after I move next year, but when I saw that one I was tempted by the prospect of getting one cheaper. I'm not married, so I have to tell myself not to do things that are unwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    ...I'm not married, so I have to tell myself not to do things that are unwise.
    So when you are married you can rely on someone else to tell you not to do unwise things?
    I didn't know that and I've been married 51 years - I'll inform my Lovely Bride of her responsibility. Might improve my life AND save a small fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    So when you are married you can rely on someone else to tell you not to do unwise things?
    I didn't know that and I've been married 51 years - I'll inform my Lovely Bride of her responsibility. Might improve my life AND save a small fortune.
    That is what I was led to believe. I haven't tried it myself, though, so I know not whereof I speak.