Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I知 moving to Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    No they're not, they're sensible . I do recall some years ago that the DC area got many inches of snow, collapsed some roofs. That's certainly not common though.

Curt, I was speaking about the coastal area of Virginia. The DC area is not on the coast.
    I remember one particular Winter here that we had two 25" snowfalls a couple weeks apart but that was very rare.
    We have had extreme cold weather here when I was a child, both the James and York rivers froze over but it's unlikely that would ever happen again.
    The frost line here is only 12 inches, in Upstate New York its 48 inches.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-18-2021 at 12:48 PM.

Virginia, as well as the surrounding State, NC, GA, WV, TN, have some of the best riding roads in North America.

Once you get into the Appalachians, if you like curvy roads with stunning views, you'll be in motorcycle heaven.

My only complaint about VA, the State police are a bit more active and present that the other states.

When I lived in MD, just outside Washington DC, we would plan our rides to get out of VA as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Smart man, let someone else take the hit on new bike price and the first road rash. Post a pic after you get it and make it yours
    I had to quit working or quit riding due to physical issues a few years ago. Could not retire so sold all bikes and sidecars off. Better shape now and may try a scooter next year if I keep improving. Highly doubt I will ever be on a big bike again. Do have a little convertible now, so can get in the wind now.
    Due to supply issues, there is almost no hit on new bikes right now, just standard depreciation, if that. That is, the bikes may drop in value a few percent per year and due to miles ridden, but you won’t lose 10% driving it off the lot like you would in a “normal” economy. One guy I know who rides an Indian Roadmaster ordered a new Honda GoldWing last December, and still hasn’t gotten it!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I called Charlottesville Virginia home for 12 years. Spent a lot of time in Staunton, Harrisonburg, and a bit in Richmond. The central Virginia area and the blue ridge mountains are an amazing place which I hope to get back to one day. Richmond is a great town, lots to do, lots of young people keeping it lively, and lots of mountain bike trails if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I don't think you're going to have to worry too much about "winter" in that area of VA. There may be some Jan/Feb days/weeks where things get a little more nippy, but "winter" as we know it, even where I am up in SE PA, isn't much to worry about anymore. Of course, if you get up in the "mountains", things might be a little different. It's summer with heat and high humidity for us "land lubbers" that's taking more of a toll. (He says after just spending a few hours in his 87コF temporary shop while it's currently 97)F outside with a "real feel" close to 107コF)
    You would be surprised. An occasional large storm combined with their lack of preparedness and lack of plowing machinery can equal some pretty bad winters. I think it was winter of 2008 and 2009 when we got about 2 feet of snow over the course of a couple days. It completely crippled the city. The plows couldn稚 keep up so the snow got packed on the roads to about 8 inches deep. I have never seen such big snow potholes before! Glad I had a Subaru!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I called Charlottesville Virginia home for 12 years. Spent a lot of time in Staunton, Harrisonburg, and a bit in Richmond. The central Virginia area and the blue ridge mountains are an amazing place which I hope to get back to one day. Richmond is a great town, lots to do, lots of young people keeping it lively, and lots of mountain bike trails if you are interested.
    I haven't been for a while, but a bit east of Harrisonburg is the Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park, which could be very popular in the fall when the leaves were changing. Could get a bit crowed then though.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    You would be surprised. An occasional large storm combined with their lack of preparedness and lack of plowing machinery can equal some pretty bad winters. I think it was winter of 2008 and 2009 when we got about 2 feet of snow over the course of a couple days. It completely crippled the city. The plows couldn’t keep up so the snow got packed on the roads to about 8 inches deep. I have never seen such big snow potholes before! Glad I had a Subaru!
    Oh, it happens for sure. It's just not as common as in the past. But yea...I'm with you on the Subaru thing. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    I haven't been for a while, but a bit east of Harrisonburg is the Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park, which could be very popular in the fall when the leaves were changing. Could get a bit crowed then though.
    It痴 best experienced by bicycle! Yes lots of leaf lookers in the Fall for sure, but speed limits are pretty slow thankfully. I could do without the large and loud groups of motorcycles though.

We used to do a road ride from Charlottesville up to SLD and back. I remember hitting 60mph on my bike coming down one time. To get to that speed we壇 be passing cars and RV痴 toward the top. Good memories, but I was a lot younger, and single back then!

Blog Entries
    Just in case you guys thought I was kidding, I just bought this.
    E5D4DADB-281D-44B1-9A27-CD6C0E5103A6.jpg

Blog Entries
    Perry,
    I知 in northern VA (Falls Church). You are right about there being no basements. To be specific, land here is so expensive that people finish every square inch they can. We had a realtor (friend) who had the patience of a saint as we got over the sticker shock. We resorted to asking her if she could find us any homes with badly finished basements that I could un-finish. When that didn稚 work, our daughter pointed out that they have enough land for us to build a house right next to theirs. That worked. The financing was weird but it痴 been an easy and convenient 5 years now.

THat's really nice, Malcolm! Congrats on the bike!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    THat's really nice, Malcolm! Congrats on the bike!!
    Thanks, Jim. I’m going to personalize her with dual “cholo” fishtail exhaust, custom seat, and a few other things. I drove down to NC to see it in person and it was weird driving 2 1/2 hours without running into the water! A few other culture shock things in returning to the states: Totally forgot trains existed. Also forgot car hauling transport trucks existed, and they look really sketchy. Literally anyone can rent a gigantic Penske truck, regardless of experience, so I learned at a truck stop. Additionally, I am going to have to stop saying “good night” as a greeting, as here it means you’re going to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Just in case you guys thought I was kidding, I just bought this.
    E5D4DADB-281D-44B1-9A27-CD6C0E5103A6.jpg
    Nice ride! It wouldn't be yours if you didn't customize it. How else will you pick it out of the crowd? Hope you get lot's of pleasure from it. If you get bored riding it on the hills and curves we have lots of flat straight see for miles roads in my neck of the woods. The old saying comes to mind even if it doesn't really apply here. "So many Chiefs and so few Indians".

Malcolm,
    When I saw the photo of the bike I immediately thought, "That isn't St. Thomas!"
    There are a lot of roads near us that would make for a great ride, but I gave up motorcycles about 45 years ago after almost being hit by two crazies on the same day.
    We expect to hear you coming round the mountain for a visit after you get settled.
    Godspeed.
    Wayne

Nice bike
    Enjoy the ride