Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I’m moving to Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    ... If you get bored riding it on the hills and curves we have lots of flat straight see for miles roads in my neck of the woods. ...
    Instead, take a jaunt down to the Smoky Mountains and run the Dragon.
    https://www.hotcars.com/heres-why-ta...ngerous-roads/

Occasionally someone does get a little over-enthusiastic and/or distracted and can't tell about it later, but that may be evolution in action. I've traveled it many times, often going or coming from whitewater kayaking. The road is well engineered.
    https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/tail...dragon-deaths/

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

Occasionally someone does get a little over-enthusiastic and/or distracted and can't tell about it later, but that may be evolution in action. I've traveled it many times, often going or coming from whitewater kayaking. The road is well engineered.

JKJ
    Been there, done that, but in a Mustang GT in my younger days. My brother goes there now and then. It’s the crazies that keep me from wanting to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Been there, done that, but in a Mustang GT in my younger days. My brother goes there now and then. It’s the crazies that keep me from wanting to go.

Come up to South East Ohio and ride the triple nickel St Rt 555 and other roads that have great scenery, plenty of curves and a lot less tourists

This is yours true having little fun at the 'Tail of the Dragon' a couple of years ago.

The Cherohala Skyway is a much better road, but you have to watch out for NC Motorcycle Officers. Best during mid week.

Oh MAN! Nothing quite like knowing your abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

JKJ
    John, do you still kayak? I just got into white water kayaking last year. Lotsa good water down your way!

John and Jeff,

I used to do whitewater kayaking but now confine myself to sea kayaking. This was taken years ago. Bull Sluice on section 4 of the Chattooga.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    John, do you still kayak? I just got into white water kayaking last year. Lotsa good water down your way!
    I used to whitewater kayak, but it’s been a long time. That was back when play boats were a new idea. I might jump back in when I get settled.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    I no longer have a kayak! I did a lot of whitewater in both canoe and kayak a bunch of years ago, then started spending my time on scuba and cave diving.

We ran a lot of "local" water, watching the levels closely towards the weekends. Ran the Nantahala a lot since it had reliable water but only one class III rapid, Chattooga section 3 (some nice drops), Daddy's Creek, Ocoee, and even the Hiwassee (but that's hardly worth calling that white water!)

I spent some time upside-down in a hydraulic on the Ocoee once - it was fun trying to roll upright long enough to get another breath - after I finally gave up and ejected it still took about 10 minutes to lasso and pull the boat out of the hole! The only time I ran the Chattooga was solo in a Blue Hole ABS canoe. Man, those boats are tough! I folded mine in half around a rock on the Nantahala and when I finally got it free it popped right back into shape! Smashed my face on a rock on Daddy's Creek at flood stage - I was wearing glasses and when I switched to a backup pair with an old prescription it threw out my depth perception for the rest of the run. Ack! Ran that day with wild man Jim Smith and Don (Jared's Knee) Jared. Good clean fun!

White water got so popular most rivers were overcrowded with rafts on warm days. Once I was watching the entertaining action at Falls at the end when everyone in an approaching raft jumped out into the water just above the drop, everyone except one guy, standing up in the raft and beating the raft with his paddle. Turned out a snake had dropped into the raft from an overhanging tree.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    John and Jeff,

I used to do whitewater kayaking but now confine myself to sea kayaking. This was taken years ago. Bull Sluice on section 4 of the Chattooga.
    The only time I ran Chattooga was section 3, took out at the bridge if I'm remembering correctly. I remember watching some guys starting out on section 4 without paddles! Yikes. Sure, I learned how to roll with just my hands but I can't imagine controlling the boat without a paddle, especially in big water. Maybe they had some kind of paddles hidden in the boat.

I've never tried a sea kayak.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I used to whitewater kayak, but it’s been a long time. That was back when play boats were a new idea. I might jump back in when I get settled.
    The Richmond area is actually a great spot for white water. Nowadays slicey and half-slice boats a popular. Think, low-volumn stern for playing in eddy lines. There’s some very tame water in my area but an hour or two drive gets to some really cool rivers!

John and Dave: awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing your experiences on the water. I’m at the point where I can roll but have yet to have my first ‘combat’ roll. I think that’s when being able roll really counts. I just love getting out on a river, even if it’s not so turbulent.

And Matt: please come back to VA for a visit so we can ride bikes! I live on the west side of the fort valley now.

Jeff, an intentional dump in class 2 or better whitewater with someone standing by for rescue is the way to get confidence in your roll under real conditions. Do it several times with the boat facing in different directions.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    Well, folks, I bought a house. It was built in 1880, and has a very unique history that I will share later. I want to close first. Get this- it wasn’t in the listing, but the agent said all furnishings were included. The furnishings are some amazing antiques. Well, the day of the showing he said, “everything you see in the house comes with it- the art, the furniture, the China, the linens, the rugs, the vases, the flowers in the vases… everything in the house comes with it.” Check out just a few of the rooms and the furnishings:
    BF02ED49-B1CB-44C6-A4B4-73188B75F907.jpg BBF61471-A21E-4710-AB6C-3188A6309889.jpg 4B6A5B43-58A9-4A80-8F05-79FB85B8448E.jpg A9EDF7B1-A3CB-4212-B56D-42D7C7697313.jpg

It’s literally a Godsend. The guy didn’t want to move his stuff. Even the silverware, utensils, food- all included. Those rugs…that piano…that writing desk…I’m going to be weeks pawing through stuff. Oh, and there is a walk-out basement with two rooms: one 17x48, and the other 17x24; plenty for a shop until I find a suitable commercial building. Now I’m selling off furniture that I thought I would need to ship, but no longer will, which leaves more room for tools and mahogany slabs!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Must have been built for the Caribbean Ambassador ! Quite something! My favorite is the bed with hangings. You don’t see many of those.
    And they are what make a bed a lavish luxurious and fanciful hide-a -way. May good fortune abide !