Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I知 moving to Virginia

I知 in despair when cold, just too warm when hot. Brain-freeze is real !

Petersburg is a cool spot, we did a window restoration job at Appomattox Manor a few years back and rented a house in Petersburg for the two weeks we were there. Trapezium Brewing has great pizza and beer and there痴 a killer bakery (but I don稚 remember the name). And right down the road from the house was a Jamaican restaurant, I couldn稚 remember the name but google says it痴 Caribbean Kitchen, whatever the name it was really good!
    Virginia is a nice place to live, IMHO. We池e on the west side of the state, the Shenandoah Valley, within eyesight of the WV border (my favorite state!). Once you move and start to explore the state you池e welcome to stop by for a visit!
    Good luck on the move.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Petersburg is a cool spot, we did a window restoration job at Appomattox Manor a few years back and rented a house in Petersburg for the two weeks we were there. Trapezium Brewing has great pizza and beer and there’s a killer bakery (but I don’t remember the name). And right down the road from the house was a Jamaican restaurant, I couldn’t remember the name but google says it’s Caribbean Kitchen, whatever the name it was really good!
    Virginia is a nice place to live, IMHO. We’re on the west side of the state, the Shenandoah Valley, within eyesight of the WV border (my favorite state!). Once you move and start to explore the state you’re welcome to stop by for a visit!
    Good luck on the move.
    I plan to build a canoe in short order. I always wanted to build a canoe, but kayaks were more suitable here. I plan to head your way in search of suitable streams. Will look ya up. Also I am leaving my Harley here and getting an Indian, so I am sure I will be doing some exploring your way with that.

I remember all to well how cold it was in Upstate New York in the mid eighties. I was not prepared for -30 temperatures, especially when it stays that cold all Winter, 24 hours per day. Oswego NY had 326 inches of snow average and it was more then just an adjustment, it could get a bit dangerous. The Summer months were the most beautiful I have ever seen though. We were riding around in my Jeep with the doors off and people thought I was crazy. Went to the State park one Sunday when it was 75 degrees and the park was empty, the Park Ranger told me it was to hot to be outside

Last Winter here on the Virginia coast it snowed twice, barely turned the grass white and not enough to cover the roads at all. Once the weatherman was predicting two inches of snow and they announced that the school system would be closed that night and it only rained. People here are afraid of snow

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    The wife turns on the seat heater in the car when the temp is below 70, lol. I think I've turned it on once in the last 5 years.
    Well, I use my heated steering wheel sometimes in summer, too, as well as the seat heater (on low) on long drives if i'm feeling achy
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Malcolm, I’m sure you’ll survive winter, it’s a lot better than a hurricane.

Years ago I was at a BMW rally and a gentleman came over to talk as he had seen the Canadian flag decal on my bike.

He commented that he could never live in a place that had snowstorms, and he lived near Baton Rouge.

My comment was “ When there’s a snowstorm I stay home, put extra food in the bird feeder and watch it snow. I never have to worry that my home might blow away in a hurricane “

I don’t know if he was convinced however that’s my take on winter.

Good luck on your move….Rod.

Petersburg is just minutes from the James River. River is wide enough, and deep enough for smaller ocean going ships to dock between Petersburg and Richmond. Appomattax river flows thru town, out to James river. I agree with Kieth that Kings has the best non eastern NC style BBQ. When I worked in Petersburg during the mid 1980's, I was a lunch regular. Didn't hurt that they were less than a mile up the street from job site.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Petersburg is just minutes from the James River. River is wide enough, and deep enough for smaller ocean going ships to dock between Petersburg and Richmond. Appomattax river flows thru town, out to James river. I agree with Kieth that Kings has the best non eastern NC style BBQ. When I worked in Petersburg during the mid 1980's, I was a lunch regular. Didn't hurt that they were less than a mile up the street from job site.
    I studied long and hard on getting a full keel up the James River. I could do it, but there were no really good marinas to live aboard. I’m not interested in living on a powerboat. Once Petra is 18, I will be sailing back to the islands at least for the winters.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I plan to build a canoe in short order. I always wanted to build a canoe, but kayaks were more suitable here. I plan to head your way in search of suitable streams. Will look ya up. Also I am leaving my Harley here and getting an Indian, so I am sure I will be doing some exploring your way with that.
    Out this way you壇 want to pick your rivers carefully in a wooden canoe. Lots of scraping depending on water levels. But I think you壇 be fine on the Appomattox and some sections of the James. Probably not the section of the James through Richmond though, that gets pretty rowdy!

In my world, all life ceases to exist somewhere around 52F. I don’t think you understand just how hard this is going to be for me.
    I lived in St. Croix for 3 years then moved to just west of Minneapolis MN. It's a little different but not as bad as I had feared. Of course I was young and foolish.

It's really hard to think of the James River being so small. On my end its 4.6 miles wide and nuclear aircraft carriers are often seen on the river moving in and out of the shipyards and Norfolk Navel Base.

I hope you find the right bike! I just bought a ‘18 Chieftain (I wanted a “not a Harley”) back in May after 20+ years out of the saddle due to raising kids. Last year, I filled the gas tank in my truck (mainly 5.5 mile commute to work and back) exactly once per month. I have just under a quarter tank right now from when I filled it May 18, about 10 days after I got the bike. On the other hand, I’ve filled the bike 10-11 times, and have done several 2-5 hour rides.

Best wishes your relocation goes smoothly!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    .................................................. ............
    Last Winter here on the Virginia coast it snowed twice, barely turned the grass white and not enough to cover the roads at all. Once the weatherman was predicting two inches of snow and they announced that the school system would be closed that night and it only rained. People here are afraid of snow
    No they're not, they're sensible . I do recall some years ago that the DC area got many inches of snow, collapsed some roofs. That's certainly not common though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I hope you find the right bike! I just bought a ‘18 Chieftain (I wanted a “not a Harley”) back in May after 20+ years out of the saddle due to raising kids. Last year, I filled the gas tank in my truck (mainly 5.5 mile commute to work and back) exactly once per month. I have just under a quarter tank right now from when I filled it May 18, about 10 days after I got the bike. On the other hand, I’ve filled the bike 10-11 times, and have done several 2-5 hour rides.

Best wishes your relocation goes smoothly!
    I found the perfect bike- a 2015 Indian Chief Vintage with 12k miles for a decent price. I need it to wait a week or so and not sell til I can get there! I am going to put lake pipes, an old-school spring seat with matching saddle bags by Heather’s Leathers, which I had made for my Harley and will easily modify to fit the Indian. I didn’t want a new bike- wanted one with a few miles and road rash that I can tinker with and make my own.

I found the perfect bike- a 2015 Indian Chief Vintage with 12k miles for a decent price. I need it to wait a week or so and not sell til I can get there! I am going to put lake pipes, an old-school spring seat with matching saddle bags by Heather’s Leathers, which I had made for my Harley and will easily modify to fit the Indian. I didn’t want a new bike- wanted one with a few miles and road rash that I can tinker with and make my own.

Smart man, let someone else take the hit on new bike price and the first road rash. Post a pic after you get it and make it yours
    I had to quit working or quit riding due to physical issues a few years ago. Could not retire so sold all bikes and sidecars off. Better shape now and may try a scooter next year if I keep improving. Highly doubt I will ever be on a big bike again. Do have a little convertible now, so can get in the wind now.