Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I’m moving to Virginia

Blog Entries

I’m moving to Virginia

After 20 years in the Caribbean, uncontrollable circumstances will have me moving to Virginia next month. I am trying to land in Petersburg, and am looking for a historic home and a place to move the shop. I will be there next week on my fourth scouting mission. Kind of wanted to keep low until I got a closing on the house. I would love to hear from Creekers in the area.

I do plan to set up a professional shop there. Ideally I want to get an old warehouse type building to make into a shop, somewhere north of 3200 square feet. I’m moving some of the big equipment, but mostly going to buy new. I am bringing some beautiful Cuban mahogany slabs (all being done properly and legally, and yes, it can be done, and Agriculture is working with me). Those will travel by ocean and take a month or so to arrive at destination. Meanwhile, I have to find a storage unit to stage stuff in when it arrives, Open to recommendations for reputable storage facilities.

It is bittersweet. Looking forward, not backwards. Getting hit this weekend by a tropical storm, which makes me look at the positive side of moving! I just hope I survive winter.

Wow. Big change for you and your family. Different climate, but also a different culture I suspect.
    Good luck Malcolm!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Safe travels! Good luck with the move - - here's to a bright future and better 'circumstances'!

A bit off my beaten track, so offers to help may be a bit moot. ...Unless of course you'd like to store some of that ugly lumber at my place?

I am looking to move to Virginia also. But hardly to such a populated area. I realize there is crap everywhere, but I was happier 20 yrs ago when I lived in Northern Virginia. Mrs. is ready to. The minor lawlessness of this area has become astounding. I am tired of spending hot summer days fixing farm equipment, mending fences, and taking care of livestock. It was a good run. I do have a nice porch to sit and watch the sunset. I am looking for a better one to watch the sun rise, hopefully over some water. Been spending some time there, trying to meet locals and get a feel for the place. I have one old cow, I raised from a calf. Found a good home for her where she will be allowed to live out her days in exchange for her mowing services. The rest can all be stew for all I care. I just have to get over part of my distrust of realtors. I consider them lower than third world used car salesmen. sold two places in the past dealt with realtors to buy new places. Had distasteful dealings with all 4 realtors. They speak a foreign jargon and mince words into microns and still claim they never said it. (Even had one recorded on the answering machine.) I hate moving and all it entails, fortunately, I will have a dedicated shop building at the next place instead of a basement. Seems there are no basements where we intend to go..

Good luck. I live about an easy hour down I95 from there. I would think you can find an old warehouse in Petersburg. Sorry, I don't know my way around there enough to be able to recommend anything.

Lynchburg is a good place to look. Rural counties in central Virginia are all good choices for restoration spaces. Lots of furniture making experience in the area if you are needing workers.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 08-12-2021 at 7:11 PM.

I’m in Richmond and I can tell you that many in this city have never been to Petersburg. The place had a good run during the “Civil War
    Centennial”. I worked there for several years and most of our work was for Richmond contractors. Lots of good shop spaces there !

One of the best things about Petersburg, is King's Barbecue (no relation). The best pork barbecue anywhere. Best cuts of Pork cooked over Hickory wood. Two locations, and only in Petersburg.

Wow...that will indeed be a big change, Malcolm! You'll actually not be "too far" from Keith Outten and the Sawmill Creek server, although unless you have a helicopter, it's a bit of a drive. I hope the property hunt goes well and you also find what you want for your shop, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am living in Virginia for last 30 years. Right now in Hot Springs, very rural with very nice people around me ( but very scattered over county ).
    Good luck with your move and home hunt. Right now buying home could be a very difficult task.
    Ed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I’m in Richmond and I can tell you that many in this city have never been to Petersburg. The place had a good run during the “Civil War
    Centennial”. I worked there for several years and most of our work was for Richmond contractors. Lots of good shop spaces there !
    I will be looking you up when I arrive permanently in Setember. I looked all over Richmond, but Petersburg is more my style and half the price. Yea, I know about the crime. I’m no stranger to that. I really love the old town there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    One of the best things about Petersburg, is King's Barbecue (no relation). The best pork barbecue anywhere. Best cuts of Pork cooked over Hickory wood. Two locations, and only in Petersburg.
    Watch it, buddy- I grew up in Memphis. I’m picky about my BBQ. The worst I ever had was in Richmond, so I truly hope King’s can redeem Virginia for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Wow...that will indeed be a big change, Malcolm! You'll actually not be "too far" from Keith Outten and the Sawmill Creek server, although unless you have a helicopter, it's a bit of a drive. I hope the property hunt goes well and you also find what you want for your shop, too.
    Don’t joke about helicopters- it’s something on my long-term bucket list. By the way, I may head up your way looking for a Fuso FG or an Isuzu NPR. There is a place up there with a few and also an Indian motorcycle near you I’m interested in. Might be a road trip in the near future. Indian Chief “Vintage” 2014 and up is on the must-have list.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Good luck. I live about an easy hour down I95 from there. I would think you can find an old warehouse in Petersburg. Sorry, I don't know my way around there enough to be able to recommend anything.
    Tidewater? I spent a few years there and it wasn’t military service. I will likely be down that way looking for tools on Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post

Don’t joke about helicopters- it’s something on my long-term bucket list. By the way, I may head up your way looking for a Fuso FG or an Isuzu NPR. There is a place up there with a few and also an Indian motorcycle near you I’m interested in. Might be a road trip in the near future. Indian Chief “Vintage” 2014 and up is on the must-have list..
    I will expect a visit. My previous spouse's father owned quite a few Isuzu NPR vehicles for his insulation contracting business. They were easy to drive and generally reliable. Big outfit near Lawrenceville NJ sold them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I will expect a visit. My previous spouse's father owned quite a few Isuzu NPR vehicles for his insulation contracting business. They were easy to drive and generally reliable. Big outfit near Lawrenceville NJ sold them.
    Yes, that’s one of the places I am looking. Seems to be a huge operation. I have a friend up there I could visit. Might buy a truck and a bike in one trip- who knows.

Storage: Conex?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Wow, what a change! I don't live in the area but I might drive up from TN just to meet you and say hello!

I remember well-known woodturner Mark StLeger tell how he and some friends picked a spot in Virginia to move to. They laid out a map on the table and one guy closed his eyes and poked his finger at the map. They all packed up and moved and have been there since!

I like a lot of Virginia, especially a bit out in the countryside. I'm not too wild about the population density close to DC.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    After 20 years in the Caribbean, uncontrollable circumstances will have me moving to Virginia next month. I am trying to land in Petersburg, and am looking for a historic home and a place to move the shop. I will be there next week on my fourth scouting mission. Kind of wanted to keep low until I got a closing on the house. I would love to hear from Creekers in the area.

I do plan to set up a professional shop there. Ideally I want to get an old warehouse type building to make into a shop, somewhere north of 3200 square feet. I’m moving some of the big equipment, but mostly going to buy new. I am bringing some beautiful Cuban mahogany slabs (all being done properly and legally, and yes, it can be done, and Agriculture is working with me). Those will travel by ocean and take a month or so to arrive at destination. Meanwhile, I have to find a storage unit to stage stuff in when it arrives, Open to recommendations for reputable storage facilities.

It is bittersweet. Looking forward, not backwards. Getting hit this weekend by a tropical storm, which makes me look at the positive side of moving! I just hope I survive winter.