Thread: Silly Question: What Height Table Should I Get for Benchtop CNC Machine?

Silly Question: What Height Table Should I Get for Benchtop CNC Machine?

Hi, All. I recently bought a Shapeoko 4, my first CNC machine. I got the one with the smallest table, which is less than 24" x 24". I work in a very small space and don't have a workbench. What height bench or table would be best for something like this? I haven't even taken the machine out of the box yet.

Thanks Very Much,
    SM
    Last edited by Scott Memmer; 08-12-2021 at 5:06 PM.

I would make it bench height or maybe a little above. Make sure you use the space underneath it if you are in a small shop. Add drawers, vacuum if you have a dedicated one. Otherwise make it into a bank of drawers/cabinets to maximize. I ordered the onefinity and rebuilt an existing bench that I keep all my handtools in as soon as i finished Onefinity announced wall mount, and a larger size so I put it back and hopefully the wall mount isnt a mistake.

Ive seen some good ideas on youtube for foldaway carts or wall mount that folds down with legs.

At 2x2 you have the ability to tuck it under the table saw wing if you have a cabinet saw or under a bench. It could also be built onto a piece of 3/4 mdf and hung on the wall when not in use and clamped to the bench when you want.

For a smaller machine like that, the height is less sensitive as you will not be worried about heavy/big material. So you can go with any height that works for your space. Most of your access will be for fastening material and changing tooling, so "not too high or too low" is about the best guidance. My CNC table height is about 35" off the floor, but it's not a benchtop. When I'm working on small projects, sometimes it would be nicer if it was a little higher for both visual and tactile access.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have my OneFinity at about 37" and I'm about 5'9". This seems like a good height for me. I do have the ability, thanks to adjustable feet, to go up or down by a couple inches but I doubt I'll need to. Some of the things that could play into your height decision is will you have access to all four sides, just the front, or something in between? 24x24 shouldn't be too hard to reach to the rear but even then you'll still be reaching as far back as 30" (if securing a 24" deep piece). So if all you have is access from the front that will play a part in the decision. Unlike some of the more commercial machines the hobbyist machines ten to have rails on the side that make it harder to access the work piece from the sides.

I have mine mounted on two pieces of 3/4 inch 5 ply thick on a heavy duty Rubbermaid (or Harbor Freight) plastic roll around cart that is rated at 500 lbs its about 36 inches off the floor. Mine machine if I remember correctly is only 30 by 42 inches and the ply is cut close to that size.
    Last edited by Bill George; 08-14-2021 at 9:48 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I have my OneFinity at about 37" and I'm about 5'9". This seems like a good height for me. I do have the ability, thanks to adjustable feet, to go up or down by a couple inches but I doubt I'll need to. Some of the things that could play into your height decision is will you have access to all four sides, just the front, or something in between? 24x24 shouldn't be too hard to reach to the rear but even then you'll still be reaching as far back as 30" (if securing a 24" deep piece). So if all you have is access from the front that will play a part in the decision. Unlike some of the more commercial machines the hobbyist machines ten to have rails on the side that make it harder to access the work piece from the sides.

I put mine at 37" also and I am 6'3"....I like the height

I built my table so the bed sits at 38". It is a comfortable height for me.
    I'm 6'3", or I was once...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The tables for my larger Avid cnc routers sit at about 38" above the floor. My smaller R-Max cnc router table sits at about 44" above the floor. I am 6 ft. tall and these are comfortable working heights for me. I don't like bending over a table, and have heard many complaints about some of the larger cnc routers with bed heights considered to be too low by the owners.
    David