Thread: Becker VTLF 2.400 Vacuum Pump Downtime? Reliability?

Becker VTLF 2.400 Vacuum Pump Downtime? Reliability?

So I replaced my single phase vacuum pump with a huge Becker 15 hp VTLF pump. I am cutting some small aluminum and acrylic parts on a 4x8 CNC router (ShopSabre Pro 408) and the ShopSabre F4 pump required perfect conditions to make some of them (fresh cut spoilboard, debris free, tabs, good cutting strategy, etc.)
    So I have been storing the F4 pump for 9 months now as a backup in case the Becker goes down. I keep looking at this expensive pump taking up space and wondering if it is silly to keep a $4000 pump sitting around collecting dust and losing value.
    What are the standard failure modes on a Becker VTLF and what should I expect for down times in worst case scenarios? If I am only down for a few days to replace the carbon vanes, that wouldn't be a problem. Anyone experience weeks of downtime?

Thanks in advance,
    Darren

That larger Becker system is supposed to be continuous duty, AFAIK...it's a beast and there's a reason why Camster, ShopSabre and similar machine makers will recommend them or similar for more industrial use on the bigger machines.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Becker pumps are pretty much the OEM standard for any of the industrial grade CNC or vacuum press systems coming out of Europe. I can't imagine you'll have any problems. We've got a bunch of them in active service. I can't recall ever hearing of a complaint.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thanks to both of you. Exactly what I wanted to hear.
    Now off to the classifieds...

Darren