Thread: general purpose nailer

general purpose nailer

OK I bought my framing nailer and my finish nailer years ago and they are compressor.

I have watched enough videos lately that I have decided I need a small general purpose 20 volt cordless nailer sitting around. To be honest I see it mostly for incidental use on jigs and such. I don't need it often but not having it when I do is a pain.

Harbor Frieght has an $80 20 volt (tool only) brad nailer that drives 1 1/2" & 2" brad nails and on Amazon I see a combo brad nailer/stapler that does 5/8-1" staples and 5/8"~1-1/4" nails that reasonable and comes with batteries and charger.

Leaning toward the combo but trying to decide if inch and a quarter is a mistake.

Any input from one of you guys that have one of these would be great. Anything you wished you had considered before buying one.

A 1.25 max nail length seems like a mistake to me. It's useless for anything thicker than 3/4.

yeah it struck me that way at first but then I do have a full size finish nailer and a framing nailer and this is supposed to be a quick grab for jigs and quick forming. Do you have a cordless nailer? Are the larger ones an easy grab?

Ok, went up $30 and got one with a decent small range but up to 2". Still seems light weight and compact. Thanks for the input!

If you want to level up several times, Milwaukee's newer cordless nailers are really good. We use the bejeebers out of them, 18 gauge up to 3 1/2" framers.

I went with the grex 18 gauge gas. and have got using it down. when I first got it i thought it was wasteful as I set it up and used it for 10 nails then the next time i picked it up the gas was empty and the batteries dead. I started pulling out the batteries and gas and its great. I dont have to hear the compressor. I still use the compressor for 23, 16, and crown though.

The grex isnt too cheep though

My "cordless" nailer is called a hammer.
    I don't travel my tools out to a job site so no need for cordless, pneumatic is less expensive, better capacities and works just fine for me.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/18-gau...ler-68019.html
    if all you want is a little jig making gun
    just a suggestion

Thanks for all the input.

I spent $120 but it came with battery and chargers so hopefully it will be handy. One of my motivations is getting rid of compressor for just quick tack up situations. I do have both compressor powered framing nailer and finish nailer and I also have a corded brad nailer/stapler and will of course keep them all but this will just be handy to have charging next to the cordless drills.