Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worlds dumbest injury

Worlds dumbest injury

A week ago Sunday I had the worlds dumbest tale saw injury.

I was ripping on the slider using a Fritz und Franz jig when my daughters kitten leapt up on the saw, right beside the blade, and it’s tail went up into the guard.

The sliding table was in the full rear position pulled back to start the rip.

Without thinking I grabbed the cat and pulled it away, it was unscathed, my left hand, not so much.

Three injured fingers, one a slight cut, two with partially amputated ends.

How I ever got my fingers in beside the riving knife and blade I have no idea, photo attached.

I saw the surgeon yesterday, no further work required, although soaking the fingers on a daily basis in Epsom salts is a great reminder not to do it again��

In a couple of weeks the stitches OEM out…….Regards, Rod

F3AD684A-CB32-4911-AE42-073B3D43423A.jpg
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 08-11-2021 at 6:14 PM.

Gah..... its like totaling your car not to run over a squirrel. I'd be in that camp.

Ive had many stray cats wander into the shop and one that was so loving it was unbearable but just having that animal in the shop for a single day made it clear to me that it, and my wanting to be friends with it, was far too dangerous a distraction.

People constantly tell me I need a shop cat/dog.. no dice.

I pride myself on all 10 and 10 but your story is something I would do for sure. Glad your somewhat in-tact.

I've never understood how people are comfortable with animals in the shop. I have a hard enough time trying to explain all the possible hazards to humans.

A pet like a dog in the shop is one thing. When I reluctantly let mine in he sleeps under the workbench mostly.

But any pet on top of a saw or anywhere near the business end of a tool? Jeepers Creepers Rod

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I've never understood how people are comfortable with animals in the shop. I have a hard enough time trying to explain all the possible hazards to humans.

Agreed, it’s not my cat and it had never been in the shop, it just jumped up on the saw, I didn’t even know it had come in the basement…Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    A pet like a dog in the shop is one thing. When I reluctantly let mine in he sleeps under the workbench mostly.

But any pet on top of a saw or anywhere near the business end of a tool? Jeepers Creepers Rod
    I read my post again, somehow. I had written “left” instead of leapt.

I had no idea the cat was even in the basement… Rod

Hi Rod,
    Not so much a dumb accident which reflects poorly on you. Long time creekers know better than that. I am amazed that a cat would be anywhere near a running power tool. Most cats would hightail it not into the saw guard but to the next county. You reacted to save an imperiled animal which is quite admirable. Hope you fully heal soon.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I hope you heal quickly Rod and don't have too much pain. I don't think what happened was as dumb as it was just downright awful. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as it could have been, espaecially if the gaurd and riving knife were not there.

Rod,
    I'm sorry you got hurt. I'm glad it wasn't even worse. I hope the pain is manageable and that you heal quickly.

I know it doesn't help with your pain, but you saved that kitten's life. That counts too, even if it's just in a small way.

Get well soon.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Hi Rod,
    Not so much a dumb accident which reflects poorly on you. Long time creekers know better than that. I am amazed that a cat would be anywhere near a running power tool. Most cats would hightail it not into the saw guard but to the next county. You reacted to save an imperiled animal which is quite admirable. Hope you fully heal soon.
    This was noy the case for yhe super lover cat that wandered into my shop. It wouldnt think twice about jumping on the saw when feeder ripping or trying to chase some chips escaping the dc. Even worse, if you were working it wouldnt hesitate to climb up your pantleg, up your back, to nuzzle around your neck. Shaper, saw no matter.

It would lay in my neck/lap while doing bids/cad work. Super sweet cat. But no way to lock it off the shop floor ans too risky even if i could.

Rods deal is an accident no shop cat.. but is what it is.

Blog Entries
    The neighbor's cat will often come in my shop when I am working with the OH door open. She jumps up & lays down on whatever surface I'm working at. Just a wonderful cat. But when I have to run machinery, she gets evicted.

Dumb? No, I don't think so. Unfortunate, yeah. But as a relatively new 'cat person', I'd call it Noble. Thank you for saving that little guy. I know I'd be devastated if anything happened to my buddy that showed up at the front door a few years back.

Might have me rethinking the idea of connecting a 'catio' to my shop via an enclosed overhead 'catwalk'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I read my post again, somehow. I had written “left” instead of leapt.

I had no idea the cat was even in the basement… Rod
    That one word change makes a world of difference for sure.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. And glad it was not a bigger cat-astrophe.

Blog Entries
    Heal quickly!

I was sharpening a large hollow chisel the other day, it stuck on the stone and my finger went over the top edge of one of the points. My doctor was impressed!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

First- OUCH!
    Second, I agree with David U, I've been around cats my entire life andI can't believe any cat would not bolt out of the shop the second you turned the saw on.
    Third, your fingers are going to be OK?

I hope?!