Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worlds dumbest injury

I recently finished a bandsaw video, making turning blanks from log sections. In the safety section I talked about distractions: visitors, pets. I like to lock the door when I'm working on the bandsaw and the bandsaw is a very safe saw. For the tablesaw it might be good to lock the door and post a guard.

Hey, Rod, you did what had to be done. Not a dumb injury, it is a wound deserving a civilian Purple Heart.

Sorry to hear of you accident Rod! Heal quickly and completely!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Glad you are OK. I don't even listen to music in my shop because I don't want the distraction. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Glad you are OK. I don't even listen to music in my shop because I don't want the distraction. Brian
    I am with you Brian. After being surprised a couple of times by family, I lock the door when using machines. Music is not for me.
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    First- OUCH!
    Second, I agree with David U, I've been around cats my entire life andI can't believe any cat would not bolt out of the shop the second you turned the saw on.
    Third, your fingers are going to be OK?

I hope?!
    I've had 2 cats that hang out in my shop. The first was a cat shaped dog, behaved very much like a dog. She was on her bench and I figured when I fired the jointer-planer up, that'd be the end of her visit. Nope, sat right there and watched me noise not being a deterrent. The second and current visitor is a typical cat, wants to stick her nose into whatever I'm doing but vacates the shop when I hit a power switch.

First I hope you heal quickly and with no long term issues. Sounds like you could have been injured worse than you were. Not a dumb injury at all. Dumb would be doing something that was fraught with risk and doing it anyway. This was simply a reflex reaction to save the cat that unfortunately resulted in your injury. The cat has no idea you saved it's "tail". In fact I'm sure it was miffed that you knocked it out of harms way but at that point you were dealing with your trauma. All the best and hopefully you can be back to making saw dust soon.

Not to derail into a SawStop promo but this was my thinking when I upgraded to saw stop. I have had a bird fly into my shop, bees attack, and random things fall or get move by the piece I am cutting. All very distracting at the moment I can least afford it. I hope the flingers are healing well.

On a more personal note I have a Maltese that is a bit nuts. I was out in the yard and fired up a chop saw and he immediately came up behind me barking and attempting to bite me. Never a good thing to have happen.

Hi, Rod. Thanks for sharing this. I've often heard people say that sliders are safer than traditional American-style tablesaws, but the reality is that stuff happens in the blink of an eye for any kind of reason you can (or can't) think of. It's why I bought a SawStop. But then I lost part of a finger to my jointer a few weeks ago. And I'm sure plenty of people have serious injuries with SawStops and you just don't hear about them. Some things are just beyond our control.

Hope you heal quickly and feel better soon.

Jason White

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    A week ago Sunday I had the worlds dumbest tale saw injury.

I was ripping on the slider using a Fritz und Franz jig when my daughters kitten leapt up on the saw, right beside the blade, and it’s tail went up into the guard.

The sliding table was in the full rear position pulled back to start the rip.

Without thinking I grabbed the cat and pulled it away, it was unscathed, my left hand, not so much.

Three injured fingers, one a slight cut, two with partially amputated ends.

How I ever got my fingers in beside the riving knife and blade I have no idea, photo attached.

I saw the surgeon yesterday, no further work required, although soaking the fingers on a daily basis in Epsom salts is a great reminder not to do it again😀

In a couple of weeks the stitches OEM out…….Regards, Rod

Attachment 462811

I wouldn't consider that a dumb injury at all...sometimes, when we "do the right thing" we pay a small price for the greater good. 'Hope you heal quickly!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Oh....I'm sorry about this Rod and I hope you heal fully and fast. Don't see the photos (and glad I don't see).
    You are the last person I thought would report an accident but this proves (yet again) that it can happen to anybody. I always tell my family members not to enter the shop if they hear a power tool running.

Blog Entries
    I'd probably forget about my injury in a few months, but if I saw a kitten get ____ by a tables saw I think I'd have nightmares for the rest of my life.

Heal up fast!

hey glad you are OK. Maybe consider changing saws, what happened to you is why I got a contractors sawsstop instead of a nicer cabinet table saw from one of the other brands. I figure sometime over the next 28 expected years of my life I will have something like that happen and just figured I needed every edge I could to keep all my digits.

Hope your recovery goes well!

You have the instincts of a kind man. Hope you get better soon.

Glad you made it out and you dont have a stumpy tailed cat. I saw a video of a cat this morning touching an electric fence with its tail. It doesnt look like it was really hurt but it ran so fast it blurred in the video, I would have thought the cat would have done the same when the saw went on. I dont have a pet problem in my shop I would have to physically carry my dog out in the garage to get her there. 13 year old english bulldog, very lazy.