Thread: Nova DVR 3000

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Nova DVR 3000

A student brought his Nova DVR 3000 lathe to me asking for help. As you might know, this is an older lathe capable of making some large projects, both inboard and outboard, with electronic variable speed and a reverse feature. He says that, after keeping the machine in storage for a couple of years, he went to use it and -- pffft! -- nothing. No lights, no power, no noises, no smoke or crackling sounds.

I took it apart and there's nothing obvious. I cleaned out the on/off switch and looked around for loose wires with no result. So I guess I should think about replacing the entire circuit board, but I'll be darned if I can find a source for that.

Any ideas?

Postscript: I kinda get the feeling that Nova/Teknatool really aren't supporting these machines any more. Should I take the controls to an electronics store and ask them to check the components? Hmmm
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 08-11-2021 at 8:04 PM.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

This sounds similar to a problem I had with my Porter Cable variable speed grinder. It worked fine for a while then one day nothing, dead. I pulled out the circuit board and there was obvious damage. Bought a replacement and it worked fine for a while then one day dead. I gave up and hot wired it to bypass the speed control. Works fine but no variable speed.

After checking that there is power inside the machine and no broken wires, I'd take a look at the circuit board for obvious blown components. The board may be an expensive thing to replace if its available. Obviously you can't bypass the speed control but there may be generic speed controls for this type motor like there is for 3 phase motors (VFD).

Jim

Russell, I have contacted a guy in Kiwi land and when he comes back to me, I will send you the information.
    Rgds,
    Richard.

Try Terry Scott at Timberly.co.nz
    Hopefully he can help you.
    Rgds,
    Richard.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Several hundred people looked in on this conversation, so I thought I'd provide a follow-up. I was contacted by Teknatool International in Florida and shipped them both electronic modules, which they'll analyze and repair for $60 an hour. I'll edit this update when I hear back from them.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."