Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt Sander that actually tracks? Any good belt sander suggestions?

Belt Sander that actually tracks? Any good belt sander suggestions?

I find that I'm usually moving the belt back and forth quite a bit as I sand just to keep it centered on the rollers. Do expensive belt sanders track and stay tracked?

Two related questions:
    1. Is there a best belt sander for the money (used is ok)?
    2. Is it worth going to a 4x24 vs say 3x18" or 3x21"?

What belt sander do you have that doesn't have tracking adjustment?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    What belt sander do you have that doesn't have tracking adjustment?

I've never seen one withOUT a tracking adjustment. I'm asking if there's one that actually stays tracked for long periods without messing with the adjuster. I have had P.C., B&D, Tool Shop (Menards China) and maybe a few others. All seem to need to be adjusted actively in order to keep sanding without the belt moving off center.

Ive had a Makita 4x24 for 30 years and only adjust tracking when I put on a new belt
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I've had a Makita model 9910 3x18 for close to 10 years. Just pull lever, remove/replace belt and go to work. I haven't turned the belt alignment/tracking screw in years.

My 35 year old Makita 3x24 tracks just fine, as did the newer 4x24 I used for several years in another shop. I've never experienced your problem with any belt sander and I've had my hands on a few. Could the problem be in the belts you are using?

45 year old Rockwell 3 x 21 still tracks okay put a belt on and sometimes adjust it but it stays put pretty well. Is vibration changing the tracking setting? would not take much.

Bosch 3×21 & 4×24 here, tracking is set & forget on both.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Sorenson View Post
    I've never seen one withOUT a tracking adjustment. I'm asking if there's one that actually stays tracked for long periods without messing with the adjuster. I have had P.C., B&D, Tool Shop (Menards China) and maybe a few others. All seem to need to be adjusted actively in order to keep sanding without the belt moving off center.
    I've never run into a belt sander that can't be made to track correctly unless it had major structural damage. I've got cheap Ryobis (my favorite), big commercial PCs, and all manner in between and tracking has never been a problem. Are you literally trying to achieve tracking "on center"? Or do you just mean tracking straight? What's your adjustment procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roltgen View Post
    I've had a Makita model 9910 3x18 for close to 10 years. Just pull lever, remove/replace belt and go to work. I haven't turned the belt alignment/tracking screw in years.
    I have a Makita 9903 3x21 and it’s still the champ it ever was. It just works and works. What adjustment. Use decent fresh belts.

Hello Nick,
    Is the tracking concern with one brand of belts, or all, old or new? I've never had an issue with Klingspor or 3M belts.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Ive had a Makita 4x24 for 30 years and only adjust tracking when I put on a new belt
    Second that. It's a beats of a belt sander
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

If I could find another one for a reasonable price I would replace the Porter Cable 503 that was stolen decades ago. The thing was a tank but also tracked beautiful. I think they are worm drive with an oil bath transmission.

I've always had Porter Cable 3x21, and I have the tiny one too. I have a third that is an Elu. No tracking problems on any of those 3, and I haven't been upset about any belt sander tracking for the 49 years I've been woodworking. Do you press down hard with yours? I just let them skate on the surface with just enough pressure to balance it so the belt runs flat on the surface.

Richard yours would be like mine only lighter. porter cable I have was heavier in Rockwell.

You can do pretty good work with a belt sander. I used them on doors before I got stroke sander. You can do rails then styles and it goes fast and works well. I use it the same way just place it down. Probably some grunt work with heavy grits then some pushing was done. When my feel was good I didnt do any damage. then next going to a stroke sander that was a belt sander on steroids so doing rails and styles took more focus and dont catch an edge.