Thread: How crazy is this idea for dust-free finishing?

How crazy is this idea for dust-free finishing?

I'm at my wits end with keeping dust off finishing/top coating. I'm not talking about 1-3 little tiny dust nibs. Doesn't matter if I spray, wipe, or brush, nor does it matter if it's oil based, water based. Temperature doesn't matter. It can dry in 2 seconds or 2 days. The end result looks like I emptied my dust collector on it. My shop is a high dust environment. THat is never going to change. I can put on the last brush stroke then tip toe out of my shop and not even close the door to my house. Wear practically nothing to eliminate loose lint from clothes. Thinking of shaving all my body hair. Spending hundred or thousands on dust control is not going to happen. Shop is pretty much a shack on a slab, 30 X50 with 3 garage doors on one side. Open rafters with 30 years of dust on top of them. Oh and 3,323,782 dead bugs embedded in the finish. It is far more than can be sanded out at any grit and any # of coats. Some of these so called "nibs" are so big I scratch my head how they became airborne or where they hell they came from.

My crazy idea is to get Ozark Trail 12' x 12' Instant Straight Leg Canopy for Camping - Gray from Wally Mart, 100$, set it up outside, and tape up the sides with plastic or something equally temporary, and make that my "less dust booth". Even if the bottom is open to the grass or the driveway, my theory is that's still going to be 99.999999999999999999999% less dust than is permanently floating around in my shop. Emphasis on the dust is not leaving my shop, I really need to find another location for finishing.

Before I even finished reading your post my thoughts went to a canopy/tent setup to help with your situation...I'm likely going to have to use that method for awhile if I want to spray since there's zero room in my temporary shopt to do spray finishing. It's not even a dust issue! (I do actually have a 5'x5' canopy I could use for the purpose) But getting yourself out of the dusty environment for your finishing work is probably the best thing you can do for your circumstance and the canopy will keep direct sun and other weather factors off the top. Just be sure that you consider humidity...as you technically should in any environment...as it can affect many finishes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Try finishing outside even without a tent.

I have to say, I finish in my garage, my plant warehouse, and my basement. I've found it possible to do all but the glossiest of piano finishes in a normal shop.

So I ask, what kind of sheen are you after? You may - as I have - improve your flexibility and chances of success by using satin finishes.

What products are you using typically? You say it's all types, but elaborate on what you use most frequently.

I would setup the canopy in your shop. Much more predictable that outside. I always mop my shop floor a few hours before I spray. I have very few issues with dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McBreen View Post
    I would setup the canopy in your shop. Much more predictable that outside. I always mop my shop floor a few hours before I spray. I have very few issues with dust.
    ^ This. Put the tent inside your shop so you can finish whenever you want. You must have room for a tent or temporary spray booth in a building that size. For hand applied finishes you'll be all set. For spraying, however, you'll need a way to take care of the overspray and air from the gun. An easy way to do that would be to install a box fan blowing into the tent, and another opening on the other side for the exhaust. You will need one or more filters to filter the incoming air and a coarse filter on the outlet side just to keep dust from coming in that way.

John

If the dust is as bad as you describe I hope you are wearing a respirator, think of all that stuff in your lungs or sinuses.

I think your canopy idea is good, but honestly (and I know you said you didn't want to hear ideas like this) I think your best bet is to clean out your shop and then have better dust abatement. I am saying this from experience. I had a very dusty shop and the problems you describe. I finally invested in one medium-low priced (~700) dust collector, and two cheap (<$300) air scrubbers. I then used a powerful yard blower to completely blow out the shop several times. With your three garage doors that should be no problem. In between blowing, I ran the scrubbers. Now with the air scrubbers running and the dust collector in use on the tool I am working on, the shop stays remarkably clear of dust, and finishing inside is no problem.... It's really worth thinking about.

Are you vacuuming off sanding dust before applying finish? This sounds more like that than dust settling on wet finish (unless you're actively blowing dust around the shop while finish is drying). You could also string up a tarp or plastic drop cloth a couple feet above the piece you're finishing to help catch falling dust.

I've setup temporary spray booths using 2x4's or PVC pipe and fittings and then used heavy duty plastic drop cloths for the ceiling, walls and flooring.

I've done fans with filters, but doing woodworking project finishes, I find the weight of what I'm spraying settles pretty quickly compared to spraying clear coat for my motorcycles parts.

My current, temporary spray booth, is 8'W x 8'L x 7'H and is made of 1.5" PVC pipe. most of it is just pushed together, so I can disassemble it for storage. I throw the plastic sheeting away when finished.