Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just got a product from Amazon that was 3d printed

Blog Entries

I just got a product from Amazon that was 3d printed

I bought a little organized for my fret saw blades. The reviews were good and I’m tired of a bunch of little bags.
    when it arrived, I saw that it was 3D printed. Well, I’ll be dipped. It may not be that new but it was new to me.

Kerf Jeweler’s Saw Blade Organizer and Dispenser (Blue)https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DMD84LH...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Probably took 24+ hours to 3D print that.

My Prusa has been printing 24/7 for the past couple of weeks printing accessory items for my soon to arrive CNC. One print took 44 hours.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 08-10-2021 at 4:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    So i paid $35 for the thing. That’s less than a dollar an hour after Amazon takes a cut and shipping.

my new cnc dust boot was 3d printer.... technology.....

Blog Entries
    I bought a Milwaukee M18 battery holder from Amazon that was 3D printed. It was somewhere between $20 & $30, which I thought was fair. Quality looked good & it fit the batteries perfectly.

Remember that you're not only paying for the printing, but the ingenuity and development.
    Looks like a great idea and fills a need.
    You think Apple phones actually cost over $1000 to produce?
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I bought a Milwaukee M18 battery holder from Amazon that was 3D printed. It was somewhere between $20 & $30, which I thought was fair. Quality looked good & it fit the batteries perfectly.
    i got one of those too but from Etsy. I converted my triton respirator to run on the Milwaukee batteries. I’m still kind of sore at triton for dropping support.

I picked up a baseplate for my compact Makita router that fits the track for the track saw from Etsy that looks like it was 3D printed also.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Sourced after-market replacement dead-pedal for vehicle and it was 3D printed. It is significantly stronger the the OEM version, where clips on the back break off. ...No tellin' what's next!

There will certainly be a economic tipping point from printed to molded (roto-/injection-/cast/etc), but printing can easily fill in the low volume demand.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 08-11-2021 at 9:50 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I picked up a baseplate for my compact Makita router that fits the track for the track saw from Etsy that looks like it was 3D printed also.
    wow, Rich,
    I would love to know how that plate stands up to punishment. I really haven’t been following 3D printing that closely. At first it seemed a bit gimmicky. Folks printed a bunch of chess pieces and such. Now it appears to be much more useful.

Blog Entries
    Low volume demand for sure. But better yet, the intermittent demand. It’s virtually free to keep the files around.

I think the thing that surprised me was how cheap my blade holder was. I would think that depreciation on the printer isn’t free.

I love my printers. I bought 1 on a whim for $230 and figured I wouldnt get my money back but I wanted it. I have since purchased a second to double my speed. I have printed tons of stuff small parts bins, desiccant containers, vacuum adapters, battery holders, CNC machine accessories, CNC bit trays, Parts for home/office fixes, Toys for my daughter, Parts for reloading equipment, and more.

I recommend buying one. Ender 3 V2($250). Upgrade a couple parts for about($40) grab a couple spools and go.
    If interested check out thingiverse.com for free downloads of files

These are what I bought and Like. A more expensive machine will get you smoother prints but these work great Not affiliate links

Machine
    https://creality3d.shop/collections/...waAio-EALw_wcB
    Upgrades
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TWK8FRN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope this 3D printed stuff holds up better than some of the 3D printed crap made for high power rocketry. Some of the parts the plastic was just extruded in a round string that barely stuck to the row of string below it. Some of the parts were already coming apart before even being sold. Now, these parts would probably be five years old now and I know technology has improved greatly. That saw blade case doesn't even look 3D printed in the photos.

I've purchased a couple of 3d printed gun accessories from EBay. One was a magazine loading tool, and the other was a single shot adapter for a .22 rifle. Neither are highly stressed parts, and they seem to work fine.

One of the $200 Ender 3d printers in on my short list to get later this year.

wow, Rich,
    I would love to know how that plate stands up to punishment.
    I'll be sure to post my disappointment if it doesn't!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon