Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Handplane courage

I will have to investigate Tidal. My current streaming is SiriusXM which was selected in order to have tunes on our road trips. There are not many broadcast towers in rural Western America. For serious listening I have ripped all my CDs to FLAC files using a program called "Exact Audio Copy". Playback is through a Cambridge Audio DAC100 and then to my Stax Earspeakers. Background listening uses a Camridge Audio integrated amp which push a set of Polk bookshelf speakers. Works for my and my hearing loss. Spending more would not yield better sound in my head.

There was a time when I thought that hand planed surfaces were the ultimate. Both Rob Lee and Derek Cohen quickly altered that belief. Much depends on the surface finish and sheen that is desired.

Curt, Tidal is amazing.

My apologies all for taking this thread off on a tangent. To add in some woodworking, here is the final pictures of the turntable plus isolation table ...

The isolation table, which is to counteract the cabinet on which it sits, which may act like a sound board. This is Jarrah and acrylic (the acrylic does not vibrate) ...

It sits loosely on top. Underneath a shallow sorbothane feet ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek,

Do you prefer vinyl? I have one album in both CD & vinyl and found that there was some sampling loss at one particularly poignant guitar note. I've been under the impression that acrylic does vibrate albeit not much. The table in my low end U-Turn is cast glass or some such with a fabric cover that I am thinking of swapping for cork.

For jazz lovers, try kjazz.org also available on IHeart radio

Kurt, thank for the jazz link - I am a mad fan of 60s jazz. Until recently I was an avid user of Internet radio in the workshop. This has now changed.

I enjoy both digital and analogue. The analogue interest is evident above. Tidal is a terrific digital source. And the Cambridge Audio CXN (2) is an amazing piece of kit. Via Tidal, it streams master tape level recordings. The quality is superb! Good enough to enable my wife and I to agree that a recording from an original release of Santana's Abraxys was significantly better (more detail and better imaging) than a re-release from 2012.

I also stream Tidal to the workshop via an old iPhone connected to a system comprising Cambridge Audio amp and Mordant Short speakers. Tidal has replaced Internet radio.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Kurt, thank for the jazz link - I am a mad fan of 60s jazz. Until recently I was an avid user of Internet radio in the workshop. This has now changed.

I enjoy both digital and analogue. The analogue interest is evident above. Tidal is a terrific digital source. And the Cambridge Audio CXN (2) is an amazing piece of kit. Via Tidal, it streams master tape level recordings. The quality is superb! Good enough to enable my wife and I to agree that a recording from an original release of Santana's Abraxys was significantly better (more detail and better imaging) than a re-release from 2012.

I also stream Tidal to the workshop via an old iPhone connected to a system comprising Cambridge Audio amp and Mordant Short speakers. Tidal has replaced Internet radio.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I KNEW IT! - for some reason, when I first saw that turntable, I said to myself: "I bet he's into jazz." Maybe, subliminally, I derived this from your taste in furniture.

That is also my music of choice - predominantly '50s & '60s jazz: Blakey, Mingus, Coltrane, Rollins, Getz, and of course Miles and Brubeck, to name just a few.

One of my 1TB drives has nearly 7,000 jazz FLAC tracks!

Mu DISCOGS reports 285 vinyl entries thus far. At least 150 are straight jazz. At 8 tracks per record that would put me somewhere in the vicinity of 10% of your collection on vinyl. My CD collection is maybe the same size. I have not yet recorded my vinyl - already did that to cassette tape - which have all been chucjed.

Curt, my vinyl collection is about the same as yours (closing in on about 300 albums), with possibly the same amount of CD's. This is a drop in the ocean compared to some guys I know, who have tens of thousands of albums! But when you consider that average album now can cost about $50, with the older editions (such as many I have) having prices of between $250-$350, then it starts to get very pricy! The equipment is the cheapest part. This is one reason I am also geared up for digital. Tidal have around 7 million albums at master tape level from which to choose. It is mind boggling!

I am on a MacBook Pro, which means that I use XLD for ripping CDs into Flac files. The digital from Tidal has a sampling rate a few times better than CD! You really get a chance to decode the individual instruments, and the image is also more strongly defined. One of the problems with iPhones is that they do not work with Flac, but do their own version of lossless, which is Alac. The iPhones will not support Alac directly, that is via the native music player. You can get around this using Vox. Alac files into the car system are as good as listening to CDs.

Joe, I listen to all the same artists you do. I have a special fondness for jazz piano, with my absolute favourite, Bill Evans, whom I have been listening to for around 4 decades. Also lots of blues and more "modern" jazz (all too numerous to mention), and popular crossovers, such as Steely Dan and Van Morrison.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ah, Bill Evans! He was the most lyrical piano player! I was in a restaurant in rural Umbria in Italy. The music in the restaurant was very familiar. I asked the owner and he said, with a big smile, Bill Evans! One of those moments...

Too smooth a surface...and it begins to look like you merely laid a sheet of glass on the top....or, poured a layer of clear epoxy.....Kind of hard to sell as "Hand Made", isn't it?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    I KNEW IT! - for some reason, when I first saw that turntable, I said to myself: "I bet he's into jazz." Maybe, subliminally, I derived this from your taste in furniture.

That is also my music of choice - predominantly '50s & '60s jazz: Blakey, Mingus, Coltrane, Rollins, Getz, and of course Miles and Brubeck, to name just a few.

One of my 1TB drives has nearly 7,000 jazz FLAC tracks!

Let's not forget Art Pepper, Coleman Hawkins, Frank Morgan, Sidney Bechet or Son House and Junior Kimbrough.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

And...the late Charlie Watts....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Let's not forget Art Pepper, Coleman Hawkins, Frank Morgan, Sidney Bechet or Son House and Junior Kimbrough.
    Oscar Peterson, Theloniuos Monk, John Coltrane, Billie Holiday, Jim Hall, Charlie Parker, Louis Armstrong, Art Pepper, Dave Brubeck, Ahmad Jamal, Diana Krall, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Julian Large, Keith Jarrett, Kenny Burrell, Wynton Marsalis ...........................................

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I know it's a digression from woodworking, but really enjoyed this music/audio talk! Thanks for motivating me to re-explore my vinyl.

This thread is further evidence why SMC cocktail party would be awesome; friendly, outgoing people with multiple shared interests and now sound track under development! Sign me up for "wood shop casual" dress code!

Cheers, Mike

Btw: Derek you & Lindy are always more than welcome at our house. Hope you will visit anytime! After this pandemic isolation I've gained renewed appreciation for genuine in person fellowship.

I would have to say that the Gene Harris/Ray Brown hookups are my favorite. Despite that, Gene Harris' "Trio plus One" rides on top of the list. It was a day in early Sep (about 60 yrs ago) when I was 1st introduced to jazz - Dave Brubeck and "Take Five".

I think I have all of Bob James' recordings and many of Dave Grusin's. On Sunday mornings, SiriusXM plays 3 hours of acoustic blues. The blues have taken over from jazz as background noise because my wife will listen to the blues but hates jazz. None of this is hifi but I can get it in the mountains, plains, and deserts. Here, at the house, the only :music: is the Mexican style brassy stuff the border blasters play.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Double iron planing helps ignore grain direction.
    Derek
    Hi Derek, what do you mean by that? what is double iron plaining?