Thread: Looking for advice on best/good air compressor joint sealants. Tape alone not working

Looking for advice on best/good air compressor joint sealants. Tape alone not working

Tired of small leaks in my 2 horse 20 gal air compressor. I have a number of joints in order to have attached a water filter, dust filter, air filter and pressure guage. I have been using a good grade plumbers tape but I still seem to have small leaks that add up over a few hours and I'm low on pressure again. I know there are several tooth paste tubes of stuff that people add around the threads joint before connecting to the next part. I've read a couple reviews where they thought that did the trick.a material that coats the threads that flows , let it set overnight plus some good plumbers tape should stop my problem. Advice from air compressor knowledgable creekers would be greatly appreciated. This constant air loss drives LOML mad because it goes on several times during the day and you can hear it throughout the home. Now you know the real reason I'm looking to fix the problem. If LOML ain't happy, nobody is happy. Any/all ideas and suggestions are Welome!
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    Tired of small leaks in my 2 horse 20 gal air compressor. I have a number of joints in order to have attached a water filter, dust filter, air filter and pressure guage. I have been using a good grade plumbers tape but I still seem to have small leaks that add up over a few hours and I'm low on pressure again. I know there are several tooth paste tubes of stuff that people add around the threads joint before connecting to the next part. I've read a couple reviews where they thought that did the trick.a material that coats the threads that flows , let it set overnight plus some good plumbers tape should stop my problem. Advice from air compressor knowledgable creekers would be greatly appreciated. This constant air loss drives LOML mad because it goes on several times during the day and you can hear it throughout the home. Now you know the real reason I'm looking to fix the problem. If LOML ain't happy, nobody is happy. Any/all ideas and suggestions are Welome!
    Most of the quote, unquote, sealants are only lubricants, designed to make threading joints together easier. For gas piping and other applications, Rector Seal #5 is my first, and only choice. No tape needed. Just don't use it on PVC. #5 is readily available at Lowes. P-1 plumbing licensee in working days.

Leak-Lock is a readily available pipe joint sealant that I have been using for about 50 years. It even works for refrigerant plumbing. It has never failed me.

https://www.amazon.com/Highside-Chem.../dp/B00009W5HX

Charley

I've accumulated so many that I have to look up which does what when I need one. At least one is a setting type, and that one won't leak.

A long time ago, I had a compressor that was Really hard to stop all the leaks. I used Rectorseal no. 5, teflon tape, and another coat of no. 5 on top of that. That was in the days when the only teflon tape was the thin white stuff, or at least, around here. That compressor has never leaked since, until a regulator plays out.

I've had nothing but good luck with the thick, gray teflon tape on air tool fittings.

Your problem may well be in your fittings and not so much the thread lubricant. Bruce is dead on the money that products like rectorseal #5 and pretty simple thread lubricants should be all thats needed on a taper pipe thread. In a perfect world a taper pipe thread should be self sealing and the only thing stopping it from sealing is galling and not being able to get the joint fully together (hence teflon tape as a lubricant). But so many fittings today, especially from the home center, are complete junk so your looking to a thread sealant to make up the loss.

I run 175psi mains in my shop, 1" black pipe, refrigerated dryer, coalescing oil filter, several drops with regs and so on, and never anything more than rectorseal but when Ive used box store fittings its been a nightmare so I only run Ward domestic or quality brass/steel fittings from places like Parker Hannifin or other industrial suppliers and no leaks with standard practice.

My guess is the lube/sealant your using is not the problem its the fittings leaving too much gap for the sealant to ever handle.

It wouldn’t hurt to get a tap and die and clean up the threads before you assemble the pipe. Bruce is correct that pipe dope doesn’t make the joint, although get a bunch of plumbers together and they will argue that point forever, at least the young ones. Also, how well supported is that area with the filters etc. A split ring hanger before and after will likely help as well.

This stuff is the best, Tru Blu by Resctorseal. Do NOT use anything by Harvey's, I'm shocked that company is still in existence. Teflon tape is a pretty poor sealant, it's for lubricant predominantly.

You are getting good advice here. Upgrade fittings and/or disassemble and clean all threads. Blue Monster teflon tape is good. When I plumb anything threaded I take the belt and suspenders approach - teflon (2-3 wraps clockwise) followed by a little teflon based Rectorseal.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    This stuff is the best, Tru Blu by Resctorseal. Do NOT use anything by Harvey's, I'm shocked that company is still in existence. Teflon tape is a pretty poor sealant, it's for lubricant predominantly.

That's the impression I've had. Teflon tape is to reduce the friction of threads turning against one another so they more closely engage one another, 'pipe dope' to help seal any imperfections.

Chesterton tape and dope or blue monster tape and dope are what I would suggest. Also depending on size you should be using 4-5 wraps not 2-3 just not enough material there to seal up a sub part fitting. I never have used reactorseal but have done my share of piping with the other two products and both work well.

I've had more leaks with sealant than tape. Now I just use good quality tape (not the tissue-thin stuff), enough of it, applied to clean threads in the proper direction.

JKJ

The thin teflon was not getting the job done so I switched to pipe dope. No more problems.

Well one problem remains, the air hose leaks a little, not enough to hear but enough to let the pressure down more than once and hour. I unplug the hose and the tank holds for weeks.

My job has me around commercial plumbing installations. Without exception, the professional plumbers I’ve seen, use a quality Teflon tape (it won’t stretch much), AND pipe dope (thread sealant).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I used Blue Monster paste when we had to re-do the tankless heater and a couple of other plumbing projects over the past few years. No leaks so far. I also use the thick grey tape for shower fixtures, etc and no issues there. I do feel like it's the quality of the threads on fittings these days. Not sure if any of this helps but best of luck with your project.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep