Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick transition from router table to handheld?

Quick transition from router table to handheld?

I have a medium-sized router in a router table, and I basically never use it handheld, because I'm too lazy to do all the unscrewing and re-screwing to switch over to handheld. Is there some sort of base plate that makes it easy to switch back and forth?

I see that Rockler has a solution with their Convertible Benchtop Router Table:

51984-05-1000_5.jpg

...but I don't want to buy a new table, especially since my existing table is larger and has more features than that small one.

But it seems like a great idea, and I'm surprised that there's nothing else available that solves this problem. And before you suggest I make my own baseplate, remember: the heart of the problem is that I'm lazy.

One router isn't enough.

I almost always keep my big router in the table and find that a small handheld router takes care of 90% of what I need a portable router for. It's a great combination.

Those little hand held 1hp routers come in real handy in my shop, and I have two, one fixed to a home made bench top router table and one for free hand use. Their cheap and often you can find them for $100 off craigslist if you're patient. I took the old base plate and had a plastic fabricator make up a couple different base plates, one for the table, one for edge guiding (with a long edge and handle to counteract tipping, one round and one square for following a template, etc. Zero work, just cash and a car ride.
    Regards,

Tom

You can buy just a fixed base to use out of the table. Just slide the motor out of the table and you're ready to go.

If laziness is the chief priority, extra routers is the obvious answer. I've got routers that will never be equipped anything but a single specific bit at a specific setting. Takes all the work out of preparing to use it.

Yup...I'll sign on to the "you need at least one more router" advise, too. Keep a nice, heavy router in your table and have one of the multi-base 12 amp kits available for all your hand-held needs. Totally worthy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I must be really lazy. If I see a $10 router at a garage sale, it's mine.

Yes, I got one for $10 and another for $5, different times. Several for $20. All have permanent trim and round over bits in them.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

If the router lift plate is not too large for the task, you can always pull the router+lift/plate out of the table, and flip it upside down for hand-held use. My lift has a couple of columns that would probably do well enough as handles for a short task. A lot depends on how the plate leveling system works in the table, and whether that would have to be re-adjusted, when you return the router+lift/plate to the table.

But as always, the best answer is ANOTHER POWER TOOL!!! And as said earlier, one of the small routers (cordless is even better) is likely to reasonably handle most jobs you would prefer hand-holding anyway.

Also, some lifts make it pretty easy to transfer the motor to/from (one of) it's hand-held base(s).

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Buy more routers! I think I have 6 or 7, or 8?

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Seems almost unanimous: I should just get another router!

I actually bought a cordless palm router a few weeks ago, but I've been thinking of it as a very light-duty tool, maybe moreso than it really is. I'll try using it for a variety of tasks to find its limits.

Thanks again!

I would definitely buy a second. A table router requires only a fixed motor.

In a handheld, a plunge base may be more appropriate in many cases.

I would get a handheld "palm" router. The DW611 is such a phenomenal and cost effective tool. You can even purchase a plunge base for it. (The kit with both fixed and plunge bases is about 199. SO worth it). I use it for 99% of my hand routing.

The dust collection adaptor for it is also wonderful if used with the right vaccuum adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Grover View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Seems almost unanimous: I should just get another router!

I actually bought a cordless palm router a few weeks ago, but I've been thinking of it as a very light-duty tool, maybe moreso than it really is. I'll try using it for a variety of tasks to find its limits.

Thanks again!
    Trim routers are fine for edge treatments and other non-heavy duty tasks. Their smaller size can actually be an advantage sometimes. I'm actually considering adding a cordless trim router to my own arsenal, despite having four excellent routers already. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Makita RD1101 that is my main router, and I bought another one with a burned up motor cheaply on eBay so I could mount that base to a router table and keep my old base for handheld use. It's very fast and easy to switch the motor between bases. I also have an inferior Craftsman plunge router that I use sometimes, I bought it at an auction for $20 or so years ago.

You need at least 6 to cover most of the bases, plunge ,fixed ,router table ,laminate trimmer ,cordless ,small, big ,because I wanted it . As you can see this quickly turns into a more is better proposition. A final word of warning, never ask us what you need. Pretty well everyone on this forum loves helping you spend your moula. In all honesty you do need at least two.