Thread: Difference between Helmsman Spar Urethane and ARM R Seal?

Difference between Helmsman Spar Urethane and ARM R Seal?

What is the finished difference between Helmsman Spar Urethane and General Arm-R-Seal oil based? Both satin. Reason why I ask....doing some outdoor kitchen cabinets, and I'm not happy with the Helmsman stuff. I'm not proposing to overcoat what I've already done with the Arm-r, just wondering how different two pieces will look next to each other if each finished with different finish. Reclaimed barn oak, no sanding sealer, 2 coats of BLO already rubbed in and well dried. I'm not making museum furniture, and can tolerate a slight difference in hue/amber/sheen as long as I'm the only one that can tell because I know it's there, or, is the difference going to literally be "black and white"? I'm sure there are other differences to consider, the fact that this will be in a covered space, exposure to sun/weather, but all I'm interested in is how different the two finishes look when dried and cured for a while.

There's no way to answer your question w/o making comparative samples. I can tell you that Helmsman has poor weather resistance and Arm-R-Seal is not rated for exterior use at all.

What is it you are not happy with about the Helmsman? Application, appearance?

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    There's no way to answer your question w/o making comparative samples. I can tell you that Helmsman has poor weather resistance and Arm-R-Seal is not rated for exterior use at all.

What is it you are not happy with about the Helmsman? Application, appearance?

John
    Was interested in what the finished difference looks like. Considering switching mid-project, just not happy with the helmsman. I suppose I could buy a pint and finish two pieces and wait a few months/year and compare side by side, wondering if anyone has already done that.