Thread: Advice on a Discontinued Delta Dust Collector

Advice on a Discontinued Delta Dust Collector

Hello,

I recently purchased the pieces parts for a large Delta 50-904 dust collector. it has a 7.5 hp 3 phase motor, a damaged 16 inch impeller with about 5 inch blades (see attached pictures), and a large cyclone on a substantial stand. The motor has a 1 1/8 inch shaft. The previous owner struggled to remove the impeller from the shaft in an attempt to install it on a single phase motor, and cracked it during his removal process.

I have been given quotes totaling about $600 to have the impeller weld-repaired and re-balanced. However, given the very large forces on the impeller, especially during startup, I am concerned that it might fail and create a very dangerous condition in my shop while destroying the cyclone separator, etc. Do you think this concern is warranted?

Alternatively, I have tried to find a suitable replacement impeller. Some parts shops have listed prices from $1250 through about $3600, all prices I consider to be unreasonably high. I have tried several other sources and have not found success finding even a somewhat smaller diameter impeller with a 1 1/8 inch shaft bore.

I welcome all thoughts and recommendations on how I might be able to get this large dust collector working again!

Thank you for your help!!

Fred Ringwald
    New Haven, NY
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is it cast iron?
    Bill D

Could you buy another brand of impellor and have a machine shop bore it out on the lathe, or create a bushing?

No, it is cast aluminum.

I haven't found another suitable impeller. Can you recommend a source? I am willing to hire a machine shop to do the machining.

I'd try Grainger, Twin City Blower, New York Blower, and Cincinnati Fan.
    Grainger sells blowers and may supply the repair parts and the other companies are manufacturers of blowers and may have a size you could use. Cincinnati Fan website has pictures and explanations of the different types of impeller.

Even if the above companies don't have a 16 inch impeller a slightly smaller one would work but have less cfm.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Grizzly has a 16 inch impeller. Not sure of other dimensions.
    Grizzly P0442014 - IMPELLER 16"

You can get the impeller for any Grizzly DC (unless it's out of stock) . I've done just that , and the only problem was establishing the shaft size . It's sometimes embedded in the model # , sometimes needs a call to Grizzly .

I really appreciate your recommendations. NY Fan and Cincinnati Fan might be helpful -- I am awaiting call backs. Grainger wasn't helpful unless I had a specific part number for the equivalent impeller, and he didn't have a replacement for the Delta, so finding an equivalent part was outside his ability to search. I also found that Oneida Air was very helpful, if only their impellers fit my cyclone! Thank you for the reply!!

There is a 99% probability that Cincinnati Fan made your blower, and it was rebadged as Delta. I have both a Cincinnati Fan and Delta 1.0 HP blower. They are exactly identical, except for name badge. Friend has a Dayton (Grainger) that is also identical. Become a contributor, and I can send you a direct PM. I may, in my spare parts repository (AKA junk pile,) have the impellor you need. Will try to check tomorrow (in the day light.) If so, it's yours for the shipping.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 08-09-2021 at 9:30 PM.

Bruce Wrens, your information is very encouraging, and I am humbled by your offer!

I don't know how to become a contributor. You can email me at fred@ringwald.org.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Ringwald View Post
    I don't know how to become a contributor.
    Thank you!

top of the page go to donate
    self explanatory from there
    welcome aboard
    Ron

Brian Wrenn, I am now a contributor.

Did you ever get the Delta running? There is one for sale near me and I have been thinking of buying it.

You might try Murphy Rogers. They do make smaller blowers that might fit.
    Bill D.
    https://murphyrodgers.com/