Thread: Best supplier for sapele

Best supplier for sapele

Building a dining room table for my middle daughter and SIL. They've picked sapele for the top so I need to find a supplier for 8/4 x 96" stock.

Anyplace you'd recommend?

Thanks
    Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

David Sochar is in Indiana and can probably steer you in the right direction. If he doesn't chime in here, this is his website https://www.acornwoodworks.com/get-in-touch or you can pm him here.

Have no idea about "best" but if you have trouble finding it you might try World Timbers: https://www.worldtimbercorp.com/exotic-woods/
    I know people who buy quantities of a variety of wood from them. Might be a bit of a drive...

I've been happy with every purchase I've made from Owl Hardwoods. They have 3 stores in the Chi area, one in Oak Lawn. Bit of a drive but a great store. 8/4 might be a hard get.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I get mine from Weiss Hardwoods down here. Been real happy with them. But that's nowhere near you.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Highland Hardwoods in NH has it by the container load. Beautiful stuff. I've seen 20/4 boards two feet wide and 16 ft long there. I've bought some from the shorts pile for making shallow bowls and platters on the lathe. They will ship anywhere, but I imagine you can find a closer source.

Try L.L. Johnson Lumber in Charlotte, Michigan. They'll deliver to Fort Wayne. I've always had excellent service from them.

May be a bit of a drive - CR Muterspaw Lumber in Xenia, OH was mentioned by a fellow Creeker as a good source for Exotics. He bought Honduran Mahagony from them. They show on their website they have sapele. Disclaimer - I've not done business with them, but I've heard more than 1 recommendation for them.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Hey Cliff, try Facebook Marketplace. There's a lot of wood at local sawmills and independents that don't have a brick and mortar store. I browse FB all the time and surprised to see all the wood I can by within an hours drive.

My local Klingspore store had a very good selection. Although 8/4 Sapele is more challenging to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ketcham View Post
    Try L.L. Johnson Lumber in Charlotte, Michigan. They'll deliver to Fort Wayne. I've always had excellent service from them.
    They're just under 2 hours north. I called them and they have 8/4 in 16' lengths for 8.28 bf.
    If possible I like to pick out my boards rather than hope for the best from someone else's choice. They're close enough for a day trip.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Drove up to L. L. Johnson yesterday. Thanks for the recommendation. They were easy to deal with and had a roomful of stock. Came back with 8/4 sapele, 1 - 17'x16", 1 - 17'x15" and 1 - 16'x7". Just over 100 bf which dropped the price from 8.28/bf to 6.35/bf. They cut them in half for me so I could get them into the back of the truck.

Sapele_long.jpg
    Sapele_short.jpg

My SIL is taking 60 bf for his table top and I took the rest to have some stock.

Cliff
    Charles Bukowski

That's a nice lot you picked up. I really like Sapele and am glad I still have some inventory of what I picked up from Chris Vickers a couple years ago. I'm mostly using it in guitar projects, but it's a great choice for many kinds of things. The price you got was also good and a great reason to stock up since the difference for 100 bd ft was so significant.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's quite the discount for a 100 bf bundle. I only usually find 10%. Nice haul! That's a good looking bundle.

Haven't priced sapele before. Surprised at how reasonable it is. Think I might put some on the racks.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher