Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What's the Best Long Bed Jointer, old or new?

Old machines that ran 5000 - 6000 rpm with much knife projection were pretty loud. New machines with Tersa or spiral heads running that rpm are pretty quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    These guys have a Japanese Taiyo two sided jointer, and a Marunaka split table thickness planer, you should see them using both within the first two minutes of the video.

That's really something. I liked the guys in the background at about 8:30 walking on the carved panels- maybe that's why they take their shoes off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Sherwyn View Post
    Thanks David... I'm definitely considering these options if one comes up near me (I'm in Milwaukee, WI).
    Ben, I agree with the others. Older jointers like those mentioned are excellent machines and can be had for a song if you look. I got my 16" Oliver for $150. Mind you, it needs a lot of cleaning up and a $2,000 helical head. But once going it will be irreplaceable except by the likes of a SCM $13,000 machine.

As far as moving it around your shop, I only have a used $90 pallet jack for both unloading these 2,000 lb machines off the trailer and for wheeling around the shop.

By the way, I'd be interested to see more of your space, since it's rented and commercial. There's not many with such a space as we have.
    JonathanJungDesign.com