Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the Best Long Bed Jointer, old or new?

That’s a very interesting machine Mark
    There is truth to your rule of thumb. It’s hard dismiss what works for anyone and everyone.
    I offer this as proof.
    Good Luck good day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

7B0E2087-D307-4BAD-AAB7-BAB33D5E182E.jpegA Newman No. 60 came up on Craigslist in Worcester Massachusetts yesterday for $995.
    Send me a note if you come for it. Kevin
    Last edited by kevin nee; 08-10-2021 at 6:50 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    7B0E2087-D307-4BAD-AAB7-BAB33D5E182E.jpegA Newman No. 60 came up on Craigslist in Worcester Massachusetts yesterday for $995.
    Send me a note if you come for it. Kevin
    Woah, that side head is interesting.

Its a deal either way.

Looks like a complete Festo feeder too. Dang, thats a good one and more than likely wont last the day. Thanks for sharing, Kevin. I love a good deal, and they tend to be fleeting.

You learn something new everyday. I have never seen a manual jointer with a secondary cutterhead built into the fence. Looks like the precursor to the modern moulder. Nice to see both examples have power feeders.

IMG_3420.jpg
    You see a few of these side cutter fences in Europe. It was pretty common before 4 side S4S machines and moulders were common in even the small shops. this one was in a door and window shop that now had a molder. The side head has been disabled. they would take some work out of the S4S process if you did not have a moulder. Not sure if those units tilt. This particular jointer was the loudest I have ever heard! I asked if I could turn it on and the shop hands said I would be sorry!

Andrew,
    As a " general rule" rules are made to be broken depending on many variables. Once a certain ratio is exceeded wood is too flexible for a long table to be of much help. So joining lumber is a balance which counts on experience as well as equipment.
    If you are dressing lumber that is rigid enough to be dressed then a long table will allow you to fully support the stock being fed into the cutter. If you have lumber hanging over the end of your infeed table, you risk having stock hanging below the table and rising up onto the table as you feed, It may also rock, twist or bump, as it lifts onto the table which will ruin what you have already done.

There are lots of interesting machines out there, a few German and Japanese machines with two heads for right angle joining. There also a few interesting thickness planers out there, some that also have two heads, a horizontal and vertical head, for dressing the other two sides. There is even one machine that has a two-sided jointer and a two -sided thicknesser together in one machine. There is a thickness planer that has a split table, that you can lower just one half or dressing lumber on edge. And Two -sided right-angle supersurfacers. It's all down to a combination that works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    There is truth to your rule of thumb. It’s hard dismiss what works for anyone and everyone.
    I offer this as proof.
    Good Luck good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I offer this as proof.
    Good Luck good day.
    Andrew, that company is now known as Paramount pictures so the shop made lots of money for the company. probably had to move away from the studios when sound became a problem.
    Bill D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_Players-Lasky

I think head speeds on some of those jointers were pretty high. I had a photo of an Aldinger with writing on it and head speed looked like 5,790 RPM. That is moving a lot of air on a wide machine. I was looking at something else the other day and it was clear there are over 40 companies that had made heavy jointers. Likely a lot more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    I think head speeds on some of those jointers were pretty high. I had a photo of an Aldinger with writing on it and head speed looked like 5,790 RPM. That is moving a lot of air on a wide machine. I was looking at something else the other day and it was clear there are over 40 companies that had made heavy jointers. Likely a lot more.
    The literature on the newman #60 indicated a 6000rpm top speed.

Screenshot_20210810-105047_Drive.jpg

These guys have a Japanese Taiyo two sided jointer, and a Marunaka split table thickness planer, you should see them using both within the first two minutes of the video.

Last edited by Mark Hennebury; 08-10-2021 at 4:01 PM.

That's an old German jointer thicknessplaner combo that i had, it's 24" wide, I also had a separate 24" jointer same brand W. Klein and sons, I believe it was a 6000rpm head on it.
    Scary as hell first time starting them up, I thought it would never stop accelerating. I hid behind the bench until the speed leveled out. You soon get used to the sound though.

090283.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    The literature on the newman #60 indicated a 6000rpm top speed.

Screenshot_20210810-105047_Drive.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Andrew, that company is now known as Paramount pictures so the shop made lots of money for the company. probably had to move away from the studios when sound became a problem.
    Bill D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_Players-Lasky
    Thanks for the link very cool to have a peak back into the past.
    I like old woodworking pics of woodshops with jointers. Here’s another I have saved any ideas where it’s from?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Porter spec'd their heads over 6000 rpm too. The bearings were large but precision so capable of high speeds and high radial load. Some Euro machines ran 6000+ speeds with two knife heads which isn't a horrible deal. Knife changing was fast and finish was still good. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm kinda using the same rationalization for my future new shop building... LOL
    Go big or go home Jim!

quite the video Mark but they get the work done. Good training video of a number of things not to do. I like his steel toed toe nails.

Maybe I was wrong on the RPM I said 5,790 but maybe its 5,990. Shaper speeds on some of those old jointers. Nice beast, no side jointing head like Joe posted. I see the base cutaways like I mentioned somewhere some of them just thought that way, likely be more comfortable at times

$_59.JPG;op.JPG