Thread: drip on bottom edge of plaque

drip on bottom edge of plaque

I am struggling finishing a wood plaque.
    The plaque is 16 x 20" .75" thick.
    I've got it stained successfully.
    When applying Minwax polyurethane with a brush, I'm having issues with the poly dripping to the surface on the bottom surface of the plaque leaving "globs" of poly.
    I set the plaque on 4 small cone points off the work area.
    I've tried running a small brush along the edge, seems to work but when I let it go overnight the globs appear.
    I've finally found a way to lay the poly down without bubbles but cant seem to overcome the globs.
    Maybe tape on the bottom?
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    TROTEC Laser, Roland SP300,SAWGRASS SG1000 Sublimation Printer, Q1 Mod New Hermes Vanguard 3400 Engraver, Daige Laminator, Next Wave Shark HD510 CNC

Stow the brushes. Get a piece of old t-shirt and use the wipe-on method (a little practice first - and a thinner cut for the polyurethane).

Wipe on as Al suggested is a good idea, but otherwise, a short while after you apply a coat of poly, take a dry foam brush and run it lightly around the bottom of the plaque. Hold the brush flat to the bottom surface. This will soak up any big drops. Any drops you miss can be removed once they are dry using a sharp chisel held perfectly flat against the back. You can also use a just slightly damp rag but I find the brush easier to use and less likely to push the plaque off the cones. Applying the thinnest coats you can manage will help too.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Wipe on as Al suggested is a good idea, but otherwise, a short while after you apply a coat of poly, take a dry foam brush and run it lightly around the bottom of the plaque. Hold the brush flat to the bottom surface. This will soak up any big drops. Any drops you miss can be removed once they are dry using a sharp chisel held perfectly flat against the back. You can also use a just slightly damp rag but I find the brush easier to use and less likely to push the plaque off the cones. Applying the thinnest coats you can manage will help too.
    Thanks for your help.
    I've never tried the wipe on poly but I will pick some up and give it a try!
    TROTEC Laser, Roland SP300,SAWGRASS SG1000 Sublimation Printer, Q1 Mod New Hermes Vanguard 3400 Engraver, Daige Laminator, Next Wave Shark HD510 CNC

16" X 20" is a rattle can sized project.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon