Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kudos to Home Depot

Blog Entries

Kudos to Home Depot

In April I bought a battery powered lawn mower. After a few cuts I noticed clumps of lawn all over the place, it's mulching hardly worked. I had used it several times so I assumed it was mine to keep. Every time I used it I had to blow off the unmulched grass and I came to really dislike ( I try not to use the word hate) the mower. Today I decided to call Home Depot and see if I could return it and they said yes! I returned it for full credit and bought a Honda gas mower. I am a surprised and happy Home Depot customer.
    Dennis

Good story Dennis. Thanks for letting us know!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Dennis, any idea why you were having this problem? Underpowered? Tough yard?
    < insert spurious quote here >

Always good to hear that they did right by you without a big hassle. Sometimes the big box stores get a bad rap but they can come through when it's least expected.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Dennis, any idea why you were having this problem? Underpowered? Tough yard?
    I have a small yard, completely level, with just regular grass. I have no idea what the problem was, my old Honda gas mower mulched perfectly as I hope my new Honda gas mower will.
    Dennis

Funny, I read this thread tis morning and as I was in Home Depot later I saw a man rolling in the 40V Ryobi to the return desk, is that the model you had?

I think Dennis had a valid reason for returning his mower, but I think big box stores are way too lenient on most returns of used items. I return a lot of unused items to Home Depot and Menards, but rarely anything that was used unless I am exchanging a defective item.

I think the last thing I returned to Home Depot due to it not performing well was a Makita battery string trimmer in 2018 or 2019. The head would stop spinning frequently like it was kicking out on overload. I think it was a design issue and not a defective unit. I have an Ego battery string trimmer now that doesn't have that issue.

Glad to hear they stood behind the product they sold you!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

This was years ago but Home Depot was there for me when I thought I was stuck. I bought a Maytag oven from them. I was building my house so I got a HD credit card and used it quite often. After about 6 months the heater element burnt up. I called Maytag, they sent a repair guy over who quickly confirmed that the element burnt up. So far so good. That's when things went south. Maytag said there's no heating elements anywhere in the world for that oven and it could be 6 to 8 months before they make any more. They refused to do anything to help me. A coworker said call HD. I figured what was the point but I did. The woman I talked to said point blank "Don't worry, either they get you the part or we'll take it back and return your money". After about a half hour she called back and said "Maytag has found an element and it'll be at your house in 2 days". It was.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clausen View Post
    Funny, I read this thread tis morning and as I was in Home Depot later I saw a man rolling in the 40V Ryobi to the return desk, is that the model you had?
    I had the Toro, which incidentally was highly rated ( obviously not by me ��)
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I had the Toro, which incidentally was highly rated ( obviously not by me &#128512
    I have the Toro and haven't had any complaints but I mostly bag the clippings so the doggies feet stay clean. I may give the Ryobi battery powered mower a spin when my gas mower bites the dust.

Blog Entries
    I returned a refrigerator after struggling with it for almost a year. I asked for the manager and said, “I’m not happy with this refrigerator “. . I expected to at least show him the tickets from the service calls but he disappeared for about ten minutes and then gave me a refund on the fridge and the extended warranty I had bought.

Always been very pleased with HD’s (and Lowe’s) customer service. As for battery powered lawn equipment, no thanks. I’ll stick to gas.

Before I make a large purchase I check what the store return policy is. Just in case it dont meet my needs.
    Any place that says you buy it, its yours, is off my list, period.
    Home Depot is always at the top of my list. I purchased a very large tool chest/ bench from them sight unseen. The only reason I did was because of their return policy. got the tool chest and was 110% happy with it. was made WAY BETTER than expected.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I bought a Makita hammer drill from Home Depot and used it fairly hard. It started leaking oil from the body so I took it back to Home Depot because I didn't feel that I used it beyond what it should have been able to tolerate. The guy at HD told me that Makita would not take it back from them, but he gave me a new one that I still have.

HD is changing their return policies but mostly to stop people from returning stolen items. If you can't show a receipt or the credit card you bought it with, they will not accept the return. I don't have any problem with that.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.