Thread: Need blade guard for old delta jointer

Need blade guard for old delta jointer

So I'm buying this tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...92687852837258

Even with upgrading the cutterhead it's still cheaper by a long shot than buying new. But the blade guard is missing. Delta doesn't produce them. Where would I go about finding a replacement?

Try ebay. ,

Make a porkchop guard from plywood and use a counterweight system. I believe you can buy aftermarket European style guards.
    I would be surprised if Grizzly did not have something that would fit. Might use a metric pivot pin that will need to be switched out.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-06-2021 at 12:23 PM.

I have one for a Rockwell 37-220 it may be the same

Blog Entries
    Grandpa made his out of mahogany and painted it metallic. This is the only way I had ever seen this jointer. It wasn't until I was 40-something that I even realized the guard was shop made.
    Grandpas-Jointer (3).jpgGrandpas-Jointer (1).jpgGrandpas-Jointer (2).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Make a porkchop guard from plywood and use a counterweight system. I believe you can buy aftermarket European style guards.
    I would be surprised if Grizzly did not have something that would fit. Might use a metric pivot pin that will need to be switched out.
    Bill D
    The return spring should be attached to the jointer; you would turn the aluminum nut under the hole through the table to provide return tension and drop the slotted stud attached to the guard over a coil of the spring that crosses the hole; that's the best way I can describe it. If that red piece sticking out of the hole is whats left of the guard and has the slotted stud attached, you'll be able to make a guard from wood pretty easily. I think that Grizzly (G0813) and Jet also marketed that jointer, so you might look with them. I had one (Delta) and its a pretty decent machine
    Last edited by Mark Wooden; 08-06-2021 at 8:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    I bought a Grizzly blade guard for my Delta 8" DJ20 jointer. They luckily have copied the Delta DJ20 and the parts fit well with the exception of one piece which was backordered so I made it on my lathe.
    It looks like you may only be missing the guard itself. You may find one that would work from Grizzly's parts.

That was my first jointer. Real good machine, it was the last shop machine that I replaced when the upgrade virus struck. I would check with Grizzly, pretty sure they had this same machine at one time . Or just make it from plywood. Hope you enjoy that jointer .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    That was my first jointer. Real good machine, it was the last shop machine that I replaced when the upgrade virus struck. I would check with Grizzly, pretty sure they had this same machine at one time . Or just make it from plywood. Hope you enjoy that jointer .
    I hadn't considered fabricating one myself, but that seems like a reasonable idea. I'll check Grizzly first though. I think it's one of those taiwanese machines that was sold under dozens of names.