Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a new TV

Don't choose a TV based on the "Smart" part of things. I would get a Roku, Fire TV, or similar instead. Personally, I use the Roku Ultra because it is supposedly faster than some of the less expensive Roku sticks.

It is a lot cheaper to buy a new Roku, Fire TV, or similar when things are outdated than to replace an entire TV.

Check out XVOS soundbar for your new TV, rated among the best for those with hearing loss but more economical than other brands. As far as TVs, I'd bet most of us couldn't notice the difference between the best and a middle of the road model when it comes to picture quality. I'd go for the features you want and reliability over absolute best picture.

My previous TV was a TCL 55in LED. Lasted about 18 months before the LEDS burned out. Latest TV is a Samsung 6 series LED. Nice tv for around $500. I also opted for a samsung sound bar. Its only fault is only two HDMI ports. The lastest 8 series models have 3 which would be perfect.

It is pretty hard to choose a TV based on reliability. Two TVs of the same model might have completely different life expectancies. Some Panasonic plasma TVs are still running years after last production while others of the same model barely made it out of the warranty period. I am 11 years in on a Pioneer plasma that seems as good as new all these years later. (It is 1080P and no desire to replace it.)

My employer moved into a new office in 2015. We bought a bunch of Sharp Aquos TVs in 37", 55", and 65" in early 2015 for the new office. I don't know that any of the 37" TVs have died and they have been on 24x7. Pretty much all of the 55" and 65" TVs were replaced by the beginning of 2020 as they kept dying one after another. My boss has been buying cheap TCL TVs to replace the Sharp TVs and no issues yet, but the oldest is maybe three years. We moved a cheap 32" Insignia TV from our old office that was bought around 2008 and it didn't quit until the middle of 2020. The Insignia was on 24x7 for most of those 12 years.

Another thing to consider if your budget conscious is an open box return. Where I live there is a chain of 4 or 5 stores that sell big box store returns with full factory warrantees (and extended warrantees). We have bought 3 Samsungs from them, the first about five years ago, all trouble free and at substantial savings.

If you purchased a Plasma years ago then picture quality was probably one of your top reasons, back in the day plasma tvs had the best blacks. If PQ is still important to you then I would suggest an OLED tv. We just purchased a 77 inch LG unit that is great, Costco carries the 2021 version, and if 77 is too big then it also comes in smaller sizes.

Our last TV was a Samsung CRT , about 32". It died a slow death and one night I took it outside , sat it in the rain on the porch. Never replaced it. Still don't have a tv after more than 10 years. Can't say that I miss it either. I listen to the news on the radio a lot, watch the news on the computer on You Tube , read the paper every day. And I no longer worry about people who show up in the media who I don't know who they are. That seems to happen often lately, I don't let it bother me. And I don't miss the bill from the cable company either !
    Chris

Blog Entries
    I go to Sam's Club and pick something and take it home. I drive an F150.

There is only one thing about "Smart" TV sets that put my teeth on edge - the voice control.
    I have a set in the bedroom, and with the ability (if not the need) to have an outside service listen to your speech in case you say a command to the TV, my exponential sensitivity to privacy kicks in FAST.
    Make sure whatever you buy can have the listening service be shut off, completely.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Another vote for Costco. I would stick with either LG or Samsung. I went with a 65" Samsung from Costco several years ago. Personally I prefer going with the smart aspect of my TV over an add-on device such as Apple TV (I have one). Just another remote to loose. I have the Xfinity remote which controls my TV and Yamaha/JBL/SVS surround system and has voice control. Love it.
    NOW you tell me...

Thanks everyone. Went to Walmart across the street from work and purchased another LG but a 55" vs my old 50". To be honest with the 55" you would never know it wasn't the same TV as my 50". I was wanting something a little bigger and thought a 55" would be perfect. But like I said, looks the same size. Got to love it was cheaper than my 11 year old 50" by about $300.
    I did look at Costco. Good option for sure but I dont have a Membership and it is located in the part of town I just never up that way.

One things I did find out. The store only has a limited quantity on display. They have a much larger selection on line AND in stock at the local store. In my case they displayed the smaller size of the same model with no mention a larger size is available. And at a cost of only like $20 or $30 more.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 08-08-2021 at 1:52 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I agree that the 55" class doesn't feel all that much larger than the 50" class! 'Glad you were able to take care of the need.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Check out XVOS soundbar for your new TV, rated among the best for those with hearing loss but more economical than other brands. As far as TVs, I'd bet most of us couldn't notice the difference between the best and a middle of the road model when it comes to picture quality. I'd go for the features you want and reliability over absolute best picture.
    Did you mean ZVox soundbar? I bought three ZVox sound bars (one for each tv) for the boss lady, she is very happy with the difference in voice quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Did you mean ZVox soundbar? I bought three ZVox sound bars (one for each tv) for the boss lady, she is very happy with the difference in voice quality.
    Yes that is the one I meant, sorry for the misspelling.

Lots of TVs now put a bigger screen in a smaller frame. The higher end ones have almost no bezel at all.

I find it important to match the TV to your personal information "ecosystem". If you have all Apple devices then a TV that plays well with Apple Airplay makes your life easier, likewise for Android and their system. I have one TV that doesn't work with AirPlay and it's a PITA. I'm on a never-ending campaign to eliminate wires, dongles, and extra boxes from our TV area. I want the screen that hangs on the wall and one remote, that's it. That's about where I am now, almost every other function can be controlled from my phone. I do have to keep the cable remote in a drawer nearby for one or two obscure settings. Very close now to ditching the cable and getting rid of that box and remote entirely.

I personally avoid all of the Android/Amazon devices that listen to you all the time. Apple says you can turn it off completely and they seem to be serious enough about privacy that I tend to trust them (though not too much) on that point. Lots of evidence that Alexa is always listening, no matter what.