Thread: ChiliPeppr Help

ChiliPeppr Help

Hello all,
    This forum is always my "go to" when I am looking for help. I am hoping someone is willing. I have a CNC machine that uses ChiliPeppr. I have not used the actual router on it before. It was built for me and included a laser attachment. I have only used that laser attachment and the person that built it for me several years ago, gave me the steps to do the one thing I needed it to do with burning words on wood. A couple of years ago I upgraded to a Boss Laser and love it. But I want to start using the CNC machine to cut a design out of wood (very simple design that I already have ready to go). The problem is, I have no idea how to tell it to cut since I have never done it before. I was hoping that someone could put the steps together for me to do on the machine. I will be cutting this design over and over as it is a product to sell at craft fairs. Once I have the steps, I can just repeat it over and over. I will be willing to pay for someone to write the steps down for me. I can paypal, zelle, ect. Please let me know if you would be willing to do this.
    THANKS!!!!

You are the first person that has mentioned ChiliPeppr here that I can remember. I actually had to do a Google search to find out what it is. Can you tell us more about the machine you have, etc.?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

From what I can see after briefly looking at a few Youtube videos, ChiliPeppr TinyG workspace is used to send G-Code to the cnc machine. It seems similar to the Candle GRBL controller application that I use with my R-Max cnc router/engraver. So the G-Code file needs to be created with another program (VCarve Pro/Aspire, Fusion 360, etc.). So the steps would be:

1. draw part or import design drawing into VCarve Pro.
    2. edit as required
    3. create tool paths
    4. save/export tool paths G-Code using the appropriate TinyG post processor (inches or mm) for the target machine
    5. open G-Code file with ChiliPeppr
    6. send G-Code to cnc machine

Both TinyG and GRBL are programs which reside on an Arduino (or equivalent) controller board and convert G-Code to stepper motor commands to drive the x, y, and z axes of the typical cnc machine.

Charles - send me a PM and I will try to help you. I just realized I can't PM you since you are a member and not a contributor. I did use the email tool to send you an email.
    If that didn't work, you can email me at desert.hybrids@cox.net

David
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 08-05-2021 at 7:09 PM.

Chilipeppr

I tried to reply with pictures but it did not go through. My CNC was built for me by a guy that does it as a side business. The software he used, therefore I use is Chilipeppr. I had to install the software for Fusion 360 and Inkscape as well. But Inkscape was to do the design. I already have the design for what I want to use the CNC for now. I just don't know how to tell it to run now. He had given me step by step to do the laser attachment. But I have never used the router. Here are the specifications:

Machine Specs
    3'x6' nominal cutting area. Actual cutting area will be slightly larger
    4.5" z axis travel
    1.25 HP Dewalt Router
    MDF top with threaded inserts for clamping
    3.5 W solid state Diode Laser with mounting provision

Charles, you can have access to using and viewing photos by becoming a Contributor. Click on the "Donate" link up above. It's only $6 for a year and also gives you access to private messaging and the Classifieds.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Charles, you can have access to using and viewing photos by becoming a Contributor. Click on the "Donate" link up above. It's only $6 for a year and also gives you access to private messaging and the Classifieds.
    What Jim said. Lot's of knowledge here available(from others not me) and it's probably the best $6 you can spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webber View Post
    I tried to reply with pictures but it did not go through. My CNC was built for me by a guy that does it as a side business. The software he used, therefore I use is Chilipeppr. I had to install the software for Fusion 360 and Inkscape as well. But Inkscape was to do the design. I already have the design for what I want to use the CNC for now. I just don't know how to tell it to run now. He had given me step by step to do the laser attachment. But I have never used the router. Here are the specifications:

Machine Specs
    3'x6' nominal cutting area. Actual cutting area will be slightly larger
    4.5" z axis travel
    1.25 HP Dewalt Router
    MDF top with threaded inserts for clamping
    3.5 W solid state Diode Laser with mounting provision
    Looks like a version of GRBL, not a first rate CNC control system I had one and finally dumped it. The controller and software are for someone running a hobby CNC on their kitchen table. Now lots of folks will jump in and say it works just fine, but bottom line its a toy. In a real shop environment it has lots of interference from tools, florescent lights and switches being turned on and off causing mystery stops and errors.

My CNC is running on Mach4 and USB made for CNC controller (in USA PMDX), Ethernet and Warp9 would be my other first choice. A simple get you started book and from Amazon "The Newbie's Guide to CNC Routing" ISBN 9781726471022 the projects are more or less for VCarve software.

Link> https://www.amazon.com/Newbies-Guide.../dp/1726471020
    Last edited by Bill George; 08-12-2021 at 7:33 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Looks like a version of GRBL, not a first rate CNC control system
    Charles is running TinyG - along the same lines as the Arduino/GRBL combo but with expanded capabilities and a more robust controller. I am working with him to help get his machine cutting parts. We have already had great success cutting some test parts and are getting ready to do the programming for the production parts. I have seen his machine and it is very capable of doing the job. Of course not as robust and sophisticated as my Avid CNC pro4848 hobby machine with 3 hp spindle, but a nice machine non the less.

David

Like I said a toy, hobby controller. Wait til he has it in the shop and the air compressor kicks in or the AC cycles. I am a licensed ham got my ticket back in the day when you needed to know something. I added bypass caps, grounded and shielded all and still had faults. Zero issues with my Avid CNC Router parts machine or the one I built using made for CNC controllers.

All depends on what he wants, a hobby getting a machine to run and keep running or just make parts.
    Last edited by Bill George; 08-12-2021 at 6:53 PM.

Like I said a toy, hobby controller. Wait til he has it in the shop and the air compressor kicks in or the AC cycles. I am a licensed ham got my ticket back in the day when you needed to know something. I added bypass caps, grounded and shielded all and still had faults. Zero issues with my Avid CNC Router parts machine or the one I built using made for CNC controllers.

All depends on what he wants, a hobby getting a machine to run and keep running or just make parts.

Sounds like "sour grapes" to me. I have several of the Avid machines and they work great. I also have one of the R-Max cnc tables (combination cnc router and cnc plasma cutter) which runs off of an Arduino/GRBL controller with Nema 23 motors and it also works great. No problems with noise from compressor or any other shop equipment. Yes - the R-Max is a "hobby machine", while the Avid is more of an "advanced hobby/semi pro" machine. As far as I'm concerned, these are all "toys".
    David

Nope not sour grapes just relating the issues I had with that controller and GRBL. My one I built up using a real designed for CNC controller runs without problems. My Avid / CNC Router Parts one also ran in the same shop... no issues. I have ran jobs that take hours... no issues.

Nope not sour grapes just relating the issues I had with that controller and GRBL. My one I built up using a real designed for CNC controller runs without problems. My Avid / CNC Router Parts one also ran in the same shop... no issues. I have ran jobs that take hours... no issues.

The issues you had were most likely specific to your particular situation. There a many, many folks out there (myself included) using GRBL or TinyG based controllers and not experiencing the problems you had with your setup. And you also need to remember that not everyone out there can afford the big bucks for the Avid or equivalent machine.
    David
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 08-15-2021 at 2:00 AM.