Thread: Nova Chuck Identification help

Nova Chuck Identification help

Hi all,
    I am just starting to get into woodturning, about to buy a Jet 1221 and am putting together tool list to purchase. I bought a few boxes of woodworking accessories at an auction a few month back and this chuck was buried at the bottom. It seems incomplete or a replacement part. Can anyone help identify what chuck it is from the pictures below? Is it worth buying parts to complete it or should i just buy a full chuck set? It says teknatool LTD on the back

0804211209_HDR.jpg0804211208.jpg0804211208b_HDR.jpg0804211208_HDR.jpg

If the pictures dont show up here is an imgur album
    https://imgur.com/a/v7ztIO7

You are missing the jaws, the key needed to tighten the jaws, and depending on the chuck and your lathe, you may need an insert to make the chuck able to screw on to your spindle. I think it would definitely be cheaper to get those parts than buying a complete chuck set. What you could also do is buy one of those combo Nova chuck sets with extra jaws so that you could use the extra jaws on this one. Finding the right chuck key might be an issue. Maybe a G3?

https://www.teknatool.com/products/c...-direct-thead/

It's direct threaded to 1x8tpi. Bars that fit in the holes spin to tighten/loosen the chuck. This style chuck is known as "tommy bar". It is missing jaws and the bars to tighten/loosen, but likely is fully functional. I have one with cole jaws on I like because it is so fast to loosen/tighten. I prefer a keyed chuck for holding tenons with dovetailed jaws.

Yup that looks like it's the model I have. Thanks for the help. I guess I'll have to wait until I get my lathe before seeing if I need an adaptor. Trying to be patient for a jet sale.