Thread: Help me shoot holes in this DC motor mounting idea

Help me shoot holes in this DC motor mounting idea

I’d appreciate your insight into making this next part of my DC mods both long-lived and safe.

Every place you can see a problem/deficiency/tweak, I’d appreciate you going ahead and listing your ideas, observations/caveats and solutions.

Here’s my wall mounting idea –
    - install the Delta 50-850 motor/blower on the shop wall
    - its weight is listed at 86LB
    - its inlet will face downward to the Super Dust Deputy mounted directly below
    - mount it to three 3/4” pieces BB plywood around 16” square
    - attach this three 3/4” plywood and blower/motor assembly with Tapcon screws to concrete block walls

I want to use three pieces of 3/4” plywood to mount the blower/motor so I can move it out from the wall to centre it over the SDD’s outlet and increase shear strength.

How concerned do I need to be about –
    - vibration from the blower/motor shaking the Tapcon screws loose
    - the whole thing just eventually falling off the wall (?)

In this design, the blower/motor is bolted onto the plywood on the wall.
    It doesn’t use a shelf to hold the motor/blower and there.
    Plus, there are no triangulated supports - am I right in thinking this type of assembly will need shear support?
    How much would running pipe strapping under the blower and screwing it to the joists help?

Thank you for your ideas and help.
    Howard Rosenberg

IIWM, instead of three pieces of ply, I'd run 2x4s on flat against the wall from ceiling to floor, then attach a double thick piece of ply to the 2x4s and attach the blower/motor to that. That way most of the weight is transferred to the floor instead of acting in shear on the wall. I'd add blocking up top to fasten the ends of the 2x4s to the joists to prevent the leverage exerted by the blower from pulling the tops of the 2x4s away from the wall.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I mounted wood racks in my shop exactly like Paul described. They hold hundreds and hundreds of lbs of wood and have for 25 or 30 years.

John

Scenes from my temporary shop...'hope they are helpful...

IMG_9651.jpg IMG_9633.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My Oneida 3hp Super Dust Gorilla is wall mounted and doesn't seem to create a lot of noise. I have checked it outside to see if it might offend the nearby neighbors. Nothing to report. It's been wall mounted for over 10 years now.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I would not trust the tap cons

and

even if the tapcons hold up, brick is not good with side pull, a patch of brick may just come off the wall with the D/C

Paul F Franklin -
    - thanks for your idea
    - that's what I'll be doing
    - I have conduit on the walls - I figure I'll screw pine 1-by to the ends of the 2x4s to raise them off the wall and leave the spots open where they cross the conduit
    - is screwing the 2x4s into the joists enough or should I through-bolt them?
    thank you
    Howard Rosenberg

Thanks John, Ken and Tom - yes - I'll be moving to sleeved anchors for the floor-to-ceiling 2x4s and a combination of nuts/bolts/washers to hold up the blower/motor on the plywood
    Howard Rosenberg

Thanks for your help Jim - but I'm not eligible to see pics on the forum! Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rosenberg View Post
    Thanks for your help Jim - but I'm not eligible to see pics on the forum! Howard
    For $6 you can...
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rosenberg View Post
    Paul F Franklin -
    - thanks for your idea
    - that's what I'll be doing
    - I have conduit on the walls - I figure I'll screw pine 1-by to the ends of the 2x4s to raise them off the wall and leave the spots open where they cross the conduit
    - is screwing the 2x4s into the joists enough or should I through-bolt them?
    thank you
    Structural screws (not sheetrock screws) will be fine.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    For $6 you can...
    'xactely!!!!!!!!!

----

Howard, I hope you'll become a contributor, not just for the photo access, but for the PMs, classifieds and helping keep the lights on.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Howard,

I used french cleats mounted to the studs for what sounds like a similar DC configuration. I then screwed through the top an bottom of the plywood (that the motor/impellor unit is mounted to) to lock the dust collector motor/impellor to the wall. The motor/impellor unit was taken from an old Grizzly 2HP unit.

Its been installed for the last 2 years with no issues. The french cleats also make mounting it to a wall possible when working alone.

Hope this helps.

dc.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keegan Shields; 08-13-2021 at 2:13 PM.