Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: right angle drill issue

Got replacement brushes from Wooturners Wonders as Patrick suggested above. They sent me two sets. Installed a new set and the drill ran for a few minutes then died. Opened it up and it had eaten the brushes only the springs were left. It isn't rocket science on how to install brushes but I couldn't see any reason why this would happen with a new set of brushes. So I cleaned and checked it all again to male sure there was not debris causing any issues. Installed the second set of brushes. Drill seemed to run fine. Went to the lathe to sand a bowl. and within 60sec it was shooting sparks from around the vent ports by the brushes and died. Opened it up again and left brush is totally gone and the commutator or whatever it is they run against was marked by a black streak.

Is the commutator bad causing the brushes to fail? Should I just buy a new drill from somewhere else?

I think you you should inform Rizza of your experience with the brushes and see what he says. In my experience has been very good at taking care of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    Got replacement brushes from Wooturners Wonders as Patrick suggested above. They sent me two sets. Installed a new set and the drill ran for a few minutes then died. Opened it up and it had eaten the brushes only the springs were left. It isn't rocket science on how to install brushes but I couldn't see any reason why this would happen with a new set of brushes. So I cleaned and checked it all again to male sure there was not debris causing any issues. Installed the second set of brushes. Drill seemed to run fine. Went to the lathe to sand a bowl. and within 60sec it was shooting sparks from around the vent ports by the brushes and died. Opened it up again and left brush is totally gone and the commutator or whatever it is they run against was marked by a black streak.

Is the commutator bad causing the brushes to fail? Should I just buy a new drill from somewhere else?

You might look at the rear armature bearing. Sounds like it may have died and is not stabilizing the armature, which will destroy brushes. (been there, done that)

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Morris IV View Post
    You might look at the rear armature bearing. Sounds like it may have died and is not stabilizing the armature, which will destroy brushes. (been there, done that)

Pat
    There doesn't seem to be any play in the armature bearings. I did contact Woodturners wonders and they told me to send it in so we will see what happens there.