Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Router Table Setup Advice

Best Router Table Setup Advice

Hey everyone, so I currently have a router table that I built myself with cabinets, fence, dust collection, etc. It works great, but it's not the easiest to adjust. I have a buddy of mine who wants to buy it and I've been wanting to buy a nicer fully built one myself.

I've always wanted the MLCS Ultimate Powerlift Pro with Bluetooth because it seems like it would make using the router table SO much quicker, easier and more accurate.
    https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop..._ultimate.html

I've looked at all of the other brands out there like Jessem, Incra, etc and they're almost the same price or in some cases more with far less functionality. Does anyone have experience with these tables from MLCS? I know there are concerns about if the electronics stop working then the whole thing is unusable, but I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has this setup to see whether that's been a problem or not.

I'm also totally up for your recommendations of other setups if you think they're better. Thanks as always for all the help!

Likewise needing a better router table solution, I went with the incra - it has wheels and cabinet dust collection, both of which matter for me. I would had loved a table saw extension but had no room for it in my confined workspace.

Note: incra delivery times are 20+ weeks(!!!).

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Liebling View Post
    Likewise needing a better router table solution, I went with the incra - it has wheels and cabinet dust collection, both of which matter for me. I would had loved a table saw extension but had no room for it in my confined workspace.

Note: incra delivery times are 20+ weeks(!!!).
    Damn that's definitely a serious wait time. It's interesting that the Incra tables seem to be deeper rather than wider like most of them out there. I guess it makes it easier to run dados in the middle of pieces, so that make sense.

It's also room for the LS positioner.

Note: I still haven't received mine (that wait time!), so if someone has a better suggestion - especially one that's actually available, I'll switch. Again, I really wanted both the wheels and the cabinet dust collection.

I have the Ready2Rout lift and fence. A similar system to the MLCS but with digital fence movement. I do find it useful. I do worry that if it breaks the company will do nothing for me.

As far as I know, it's been discontinued for several years, and I don't think many people bought it.

There are nice things about being able to adjust the fence and lift digitally by 0.01 or less. It does take up a bunch of space behind the fence (as certainly does the Incra which I once had), so using it as an extension table for your table saw limits things.

The Ready2Rout system was made of some plastic which never struck me as robust. I don't know what the MLCS system is made of. I do look at their ads with some curiosity, since I own a somewhat similar system.

The Incra LS positioner was a nice system. I just found I never really used it to its real capabilities. And there was no matching system for the lift. I also had a Woodpeckers lift, which I really didn't like.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 08-04-2021 at 9:11 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Personally, I'd be more comfortable with a manually adjusted lift...while there are mechanical parts that could go bad someday, there's less risk than with an electronic system, especially one that's a private label solution from a small business entity. I'm NOT saying there is any issue with quality or anything bad about the vendor...they have been in the business for a very long time and the fact that they are still here is meaningful. I'm speaking purely about risk over time. I happen to have an older BenchDog lift (in a BenchDog cast iron table) and other than needing cleaning/lubrication from time to time, it's been a solid performer. I admittedly do not use the router table all that much, but when I do, it's smooth sailing. Any of the popular brand lifts will be a good fit and all provide adjustment that you can get right where you need it to be, even though you might be measuring manually and cutting test pieces. Those little things can actually be beneficial because they calm the pace of work which reduces risk of mistakes.

BTW, a key datapoint for choosing a lift for your router table is what router motor you plan on using. Check compatibility before you plunk down your money.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Note: I still haven't received mine (that wait time!), so if someone has a better suggestion - especially one that's actually available, I'll switch. Again, I really wanted both the wheels and the cabinet dust collection.
    There's an Incra Ultra fence on the auction site. I have the Ultra and it's comparable to the LS 17. Differences are the adjuster is at the back and the fine adjustment doesn't click. I've had it for years and wouldn't go back to a regular fence. The fine adjustment and repeatability is extremely useful.

Since the LS 17 has a 22 week lead time, get the Ultra and order the LS, then sell the Ultra when the LS is delivered.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I have the Ready2Rout lift and fence. A similar system to the MLCS but with digital fence movement. I do find it useful. I do worry that if it breaks the company will do nothing for me.

As far as I know, it's been discontinued for several years, and I don't think many people bought it.

There are nice things about being able to adjust the fence and lift digitally by 0.01 or less. It does take up a bunch of space behind the fence (as certainly does the Incra which I once had), so using it as an extension table for your table saw limits things.

The Ready2Rout system was made of some plastic which never struck me as robust. I don't know what the MLCS system is made of. I do look at their ads with some curiosity, since I own a somewhat similar system.

The Incra LS positioner was a nice system. I just found I never really used it to its real capabilities. And there was no matching system for the lift. I also had a Woodpeckers lift, which I really didn't like.

Hope that helps.
    Hey Alan thanks for the info. I'm definitely torn on which system to get. I wish more people had the MLCS setup so I could see if it has been a good product or not.

I'm with Jim on the manual adjustment, while that foot pedal looks nice I'd be concerned with how long a life it would last. Using a tablet to adjust the height seems like a waste of time? I'm a fan of cast tops, my last table setup was a bench dog lift and cast top. I sold it last fall and replaced it with the Grizzly cast top and lift with the wings, this setup I really like. Its in the same price range and worth a look if you havent checked it out.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Personally, I'd be more comfortable with a manually adjusted lift...while there are mechanical parts that could go bad someday, there's less risk than with an electronic system, especially one that's a private label solution from a small business entity. I'm NOT saying there is any issue with quality or anything bad about the vendor...they have been in the business for a very long time and the fact that they are still here is meaningful. I'm speaking purely about risk over time. I happen to have an older BenchDog lift (in a BenchDog cast iron table) and other than needing cleaning/lubrication from time to time, it's been a solid performer. I admittedly do not use the router table all that much, but when I do, it's smooth sailing. Any of the popular brand lifts will be a good fit and all provide adjustment that you can get right where you need it to be, even though you might be measuring manually and cutting test pieces. Those little things can actually be beneficial because they calm the pace of work which reduces risk of mistakes.

BTW, a key datapoint for choosing a lift for your router table is what router motor you plan on using. Check compatibility before you plunk down your money.
    Hey Jim thanks as always for the help. If I went with the MLCS I would use the router that comes with it. I'm also worried about parts going bad or something going wrong in the future. But I guess if it happens I'll just convert it to a manual! Haha. I was hoping to see some reviews from people that own it, but no luck so far. Do you know how long MLCS has been around? I know they're not new, but don't really know their history. I just hate constantly cranking mine slightly up and down to try to get perfect measurements. The thought of pressing a button just seems to make so much sense, but I'm definitely still on the fence about it. Would you recommend going cast iron vs phenolic for an extra $100? I actually prefer the maintenance free phenolic, but I'm worried about sagging over time. Anyway thanks for the advice!

I just took an LS 17 super system off a spare router table last weekend (converting the table to a sharpening station). I’ve got a 25” on my other table, so will likely sell the 17”. Shipping would likely be brutal from IN to CA though!

I agree with Jim B on the manual lift, have had Incra-Jessem for several years and it still is easy to do quick gross adjustments by swirling my index finger. For fine adjustments, quarter turn is 1/64”, and a few thousandths is east to hit.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    I'm with Jim on the manual adjustment, while that foot pedal looks nice I'd be concerned with how long a life it would last. Using a tablet to adjust the height seems like a waste of time? I'm a fan of cast tops, my last table setup was a bench dog lift and cast top. I sold it last fall and replaced it with the Grizzly cast top and lift with the wings, this setup I really like. Its in the same price range and worth a look if you havent checked it out.
    Hey Jeff thanks for the advice. Any reason you chose the Grizzly vs the Jessem? Was it just that Jessem doesn't offer cast iron? I like the side raising/lowering ability of the Jessem so you don't need any tool nearby to make height adjustments, but I'm worried about sagging since it's not cast iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Baldwin View Post
    Hey Jeff thanks for the advice. Any reason you chose the Grizzly vs the Jessem? Was it just that Jessem doesn't offer cast iron? I like the side raising/lowering ability of the Jessem so you don't need any tool nearby to make height adjustments, but I'm worried about sagging since it's not cast iron.
    To be honest it was the cast iron and the large work surface this table gives me. I like working on a shaper for the same reason. I dont normally gravitate towards Grizzley tools but I really like this fence and the cast top. The lift isnt as heavy duty as the bench dog but of course the opening size has to be different. My one gripe about this whole package is I had to buy a separate bag of insert rings as this one only comes with one ring.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Josh,

In line with Jim’s comments, I like my « manually adjusted » Jessem Mast-R-Lift. The calibration of the lift allows for a resolution of .002 inch which can be extrapolated to .001 inch. Adjustments of the fence are done by using a Veritas micrometric dial (I am not sure if Lee Valley still sells this) which has a resolution of .001 inch. I measure the workpiece with digital calipers and make adjustments manually from there.

It works very well for my hobbyist needs.

Regards,

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Baldwin View Post
    Do you know how long MLCS has been around? I know they're not new, but don't really know their history.
    They have been around longer than I've been woodworking...I actually had an office a few doors away from where they were located originally many years ago. They are, IMHO, best known for their economical router tooling.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...