Thread: Wine/Bottle stopper questions

Wine/Bottle stopper questions

I have been asked to make some wine stoppers and the person has asked for them to be made out of the acrylic that Woodcraft sells - https://www.woodcraft.com/products/a...-2-x-1-1-2-x-6

I will be using Ruth Niles stainless stoppers.

Do you guys just tap the acrylic? If so, do you just use the niles mandrel for the tapping or do you use a regular tap?
    Do you use brass inserts? If so, which one?

Thanks
    Ricc

Hi Ricc,
    Although the mandrel is supposed to tap, I have had less success with it and bought a standard tap to do the initial threading of my blanks. Bear in mind, depending on your blank, the acrylic may be translucent when turned thin so you might want to take that into account if you don't want your inserts or the stopper threaded post to be visible. Ruth sells inserts (brass and stainless) on her site. Haven't used them so I can't help you with a recommendation there. Good luck with your stoppers!
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

Ricc, you can either tap the blank with a standard 3/8-16 tap, or tap the hole with Ruth's mandrel, as hers has a notch in the threaded portion that facilitates tapping. Start with an 11/32" or 23/64" hole, then tap slowly, reversing the tap after every half-turn or so to clear the chips. Depending on the size of your turning near the bottom of it and the opacity (or lack thereof) of the acrylic, you may want to paint the inside of the hole a color similar to your blank before assembly to keep the threads from showing through the finished piece. A Q-tip works well for this!

Sharp tools are are an absolute must for turning acrylic! Best of luck, and be sure to post some photos of the finished piece(s).
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

I use a separate bottom tap. I like a real tap in a tap handle, on the lathe with a spring-loaded tap guide, or in my tapping machine. I made the bottom tap by grinding the end off a standard tap.

Tap guide: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005317ZMC
    Bought this when it was less than 1/2 the current price:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DCZ9V

JKJ

Thanks Guys for all the advice.

JKJ - the tapping machine isn't an option as little as I do but the tap guide is on my list to buy along with a regular tap as suggested .

Anyone else have anything to add?

Thanks
    Ricc

I have used my self tapping mandrel and I have used a regular tap. One thing I have found helpful is to reverse the tap regularly to help clear the cuttings.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I have used my self tapping mandrel and I have used a regular tap. One thing I have found helpful is to reverse the tap regularly to help clear the cuttings.

Thanks Ken!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    Thanks Guys for all the advice.

JKJ - the tapping machine isn't an option as little as I do but the tap guide is on my list to buy along with a regular tap as suggested .

Anyone else have anything to add?

Thanks
    Ricc
    Another aide for tapping is the tapping guide from Big Gator, https://www.amazon.com/GATOR-TOOLS-V...s%2C217&sr=8-2. Can be used with bot regular and bottoming taps.