Thread: Outdoor sealer for cedar gazebo

Outdoor sealer for cedar gazebo

Hey all I am looking for recommendations for a super durable outdoor sealer/waterproofed for a cedar gazebo.

If you have any recommendations please let me know. I’d like to stay somewhat clear and non glossy. If anything maybe a slight darkening is fine.

Thanks,
    Thomas.

Helmsman Spar urethane

they have a satin, I think I used semigloss last time I used it but it looks good on cedar

Sikkens Cetol.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Helmsman Spar urethane

they have a satin, I think I used semigloss last time I used it but it looks good on cedar
    I don’t like that Helmsman product, I don’t think it’s as UV resistant as they claim it is, and it can be a pain to redo. If you must use a varnish, the Epifanes is better, but I prefer the look of unfinished. It’s going to change color anyways.

Cetol is great stuff, but I'd consider "One Time" for your project.

John

Cabot Australian Timber Oil gets good reviews, I put it on a cedar root burl table base this year, too soon to judge durability but gives a nice satin sheen and darkened the wood slightly. Reportedly lasts 2 to 4 years on fences, 1 to 3 years on decks.

I've used a number of products on outdoor projects, and the Cabot Australian Oil would be my first choice. It comes in a number of tones. I had a bench out in hot summer/cold winter, and it lasted two cycles before touchup needed. Thats better than most products.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I’ll check out those products. Are there any pros/cons to water vs oil based?

General Finishes 450 is an excellent outdoor rated clear finish.

Sikkens Cetol is now sold in the US under the trade name of Prolux by PPG.

I've had good success with System 3 spar varnish. For me at least, much easier to apply than Epifanes.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.