Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood kitchen countertop with 90 degree

Blog Entries

Wood kitchen countertop with 90 degree

Hi,

I'm going to be building a countertop out of 8/4 or 6/4 walnut with a L and an under mount sink. (6 ft x 9 ft, measured on the wall)

I'd like to have a completed template built on site and build the L at my shop. I'd like to use a miter, cut with my tracksaw. My thoughts, based on talking to others / looking around online is to glue the miter joint with epoxy and dominoes. Let the two sides of the L float with hardware. Clamp the miter cut with countertop clamps. Leave a small gap between drywall and countertop.

I'm still trying to figure out finish.

What should I be thinking / where should I look to make sure I understand all the variables? Recommended videos or books? Is there something I'm not thinking of?

Determine how much the miter angle will change throughout the year based on species, grain orientation and seasonal humidity variations. Then decide if that much movement is acceptable given the design. Is there a backsplash to disguise the movement at the walls? Do you need to fix the leg with the sink in it?

Your plan will work if the L is allowed to float. You may need to tune up the joints with a hand plane or router and straightedge. Be sure to do a dry fit. Zip bolts are quite handy for pulling the joint together, or you can screw some clamping ears to the outside of the L and use bar clamps.

The look is different, but you can make an L that maintains its angle using a butt joint glued at one point and allowed to float with a spline or loose dominos.

I just put in a wood counter top in my kitchen last year. I made my counter with edge glued maple, 7/8 x 1-1/2, so wood movement is much less of an issue. The finished counter is a bit under 1-1/2 inched after I finished planed and sanded. I finished the counter with Pure Tung Oil, I did not want a film finish that would would crack or dent, Tung oil can also be reapplied when ever needed with a simple light sand and reapply.
    I would be more concerned with the under mount sink that will expose end grain to water. My sink is a top mount and I flooded the end grain with tung oil after I cut the hole for the sink and I used a very heavy bead of silicone caulk under the sink.
    So far the counter still bead water and everything wipes off without leaving any stains.

Blog Entries
    I've done 2 wood (actually, 1 wood, 1 bamboo) counter tops with 90* miter joints. No issues with movement because the short side of the 'L' was secured with movement allowed for. They were glued with epoxy, double rows of biscuits & counter top bolts to pull it all together.

Both counters also have undermount sinks. the counter underside & the edge of the sink cutout were saturated with slow setting epoxy & a heat gun. The sink was then secured with screws & epoxy. Not staining, checking or other issues. Of course, even with all precautions, proper care in daily use is still essential.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to talk w/ the contractor to see who installs the sink. I don't mind who does it, but I'm not sure it's me. Plus the sink will have to be supported.

I'm still trying to figure out finish.
    Waterlox is about the only manufacturer that comes right out and says, "Use our product" on kitchen and bath counters. That's a pretty ,,,bold,,,statement.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Waterlox is about the only manufacturer that comes right out and says, "Use our product" on kitchen and bath counters. That's a pretty ,,,bold,,,statement.

I can confirm that Waterlox is excellent finish on Cherry Butcher block, have had it on mine for I think 4+ years now no issues.... I can also confirm my L counter has moved more than I would like...LOL

edit, its been since 2013 that I did the finish, now I am impressed with how durable Waterlox is… It was made from salvaged Cherry flooring from the house and only meant to be temporary…. here is a pic of when I installed it…

29F78A8E-B2DF-4DED-9188-F708F0B0139A.jpg
    2C8978AA-BC2F-45B8-8FE1-60B61B9BB6AA.jpg
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 08-04-2021 at 7:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    I can confirm that Waterlox is excellent finish on Cherry Butcher block, have had it on mine for I think 4+ years now no issues.... I can also confirm my L counter has moved more than I would like...LOL

edit, its been since 2013 that I did the finish, now I am impressed with how durable Waterlox is… It was made from salvaged Cherry flooring from the house and only meant to be temporary…. here is a pic of when I installed it…
    Nice job! In what ways has it moved? Are your joints still tight? That's tough having two big joints like that.

waterlox is excellent on a beech desk that my wife and I use for working from home, and an island of reclaimed bowling ally, long leaf pine/maple/walnut. I have been very impressed with how it looks after a few years of use.

Pocket hole screws would be another way to "clamp" the miter while the glue sets.

Blog Entries
    yeah, that guy in the video is right... end grain screws don't work super well.

Also, I'm giving the option of a butt joint. I'm assuming they will go with a miter (I think it's more or less objectively better looking) so I may indeed have side grain to clamp to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post

That top eliminates a lot of the catastrophic movement issues of a 45 degree miter with the 45 degree sink section with the square connections to the pie cut corner. The true 45 degree miter if the legs are long can result in a mile of movement.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Nice job! In what ways has it moved? Are your joints still tight? That's tough having two big joints like that.
    Thanks, moved about 1/8” on the left joint and 1/16” on the right BUT I did not glue, only used silicone in the joint because I had planned on these only being there a year or so then replace with Soapstone. I also just used lamellos, I suspect if i used a domino and glue/epoxy with zero slop for the first one it may reduce or eliminate the offset in the front as long as you left a gap in the back between the wall and the counter. Also I used dog bones to pull it together, don’t pocket screw it…
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 08-04-2021 at 10:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    They want the butt joint. I didn't expect that. So either I use pure mechanical (dog bone connectors) or I use the tenon / breadboard method.