Thread: bandsaw advice

bandsaw advice

i had a rikon 10-326 bandsaw that i didnt like and i sold it this past weekend and im in the market for a new one...i wanted one that could resaw ,,i was looking at the grizzly go513x2 and the grizzly g0 555lx,,,i like both of them ,,,it seems like more people have gotten the go555 series and updated them by adding riser kits or replacing the fence,,,,,but it still 1 hp verses 2 horse power on the g0513x2,,,im not in the business i just do it as a hobby but wanted a good one that i can resaw on,,any help would be appreciated about this or others for that matter,,thank you

There's a pretty big difference between the two you listed other than just the motor HP, which is a big deal.
    With the 5013X2, you're also getting a welded steel frame which is stiffer, a larger capacity in height and throat, a larger table, the ability to run larger blades up to 1", as well as twice the power. It's really a different class of machine.
    Many people, including myself, upgrade from something like the 555 (standard 14" Asian Import) to something like a 513X2 as a natural progression.
    It really depends on the type of work you do, as to which one will fit you best.
    I have a 14" like the 555 and it's a great machine, I also have a 513X2 and there is no direct comparison.
    Sorry I can't be more helpful but they are very different in just about all categories.

If you want to resaw very much you want HP and the ability to put adequate tension on a blade designed for that task. The G0513 will do a much better job than the cast iron 1 hp G0555lx. Personally, I'd prefer 3 HP for the 12" resaw height of the G0513, but it's still a very capable saw.

John

John is one of the chorus of people who suggested the G0513X2 instead of a Rikon. I have been very happy with the Griz. I'm running a 3/4" Timberwolf blade which now needs to be sharpened or replaced. This is my 1st bandsaw and I am quite happy with it.

I wish I had gone for a model with a brake though.

I have had the 0555 for 10 or 12 years now. I have the 6 inch extension and a resaw fence and I use it for resawing. I have a small garage shop and I’m a hobbyist. It’s a great machine, but if you are looking for something specifically for resawing, I think a larger machine would be your best best. If I was going to shop for a machine just for resawing, I’d get a larger machine than the 0555. I’m very happy with my current setup, but if I were I were in the marker for a new saw, that’s what I would do.

Blog Entries
    It might be important to know what you didn't like about the Rikon. It has 13" of resaw capability. Was it a power issue? Accuracy? I also resaw on a G0513X (the no-longer-made version between the 513 and the 513X2). Other than wishing for more power the saw is great.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    It might be important to know what you didn't like about the Rikon. It has 13" of resaw capability. Was it a power issue? Accuracy? I also resaw on a G0513X (the no-longer-made version between the 513 and the 513X2). Other than wishing for more power the saw is great.
    Hi Glenn,
    He talks about the problem with his 10-326 here. LINK
    Hope it helps,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-03-2021 at 6:24 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have owned a Rikon 10-325 (model previous to the 326). I have resawed with it for years with no problems. I suppose an 18" or 20" with a bigger motor will resaw more quickly but, other than that, probably won't do that much better a job. And really, the only time more power is necessary is kf the wood you're resawing is very dense, very wide (more than 8"), or you're in a hurry. Any 14" or larger bandsaw with a a 1 1/2 HP motor or larger will do the job as long as it is set up properly for resawing. I'm not sure what the problem with your Rikon was, but it was unlikely the saw itself; more likely setup. The same setup process will be required on any saw and advisable prior to the first time you use it.

I started with a 555ANV which was the special anniversary version of the G0555 with some extra bits and pieces and it was fine for small work, but was very easy to bog down in resaw work. It did fine with 4-5 inch tall stock (oak, walnut, maple, cherry, etc), albeit with a lot of fussing and dialing. I threw every upgrade it that I could - carter guides, extension kit (intended for resaw, but again it wasy easy to bog), etc. I think it was fine with a 3/8" blade, but struggled to tension anything over 1/2". I resawed with a 3/4" timberwolf blade, and did smaller work with 3/8" and sometimes smaller blades. It served its purpose, and I think I got out of it for a good percentage of what I put into it, so it was an ok investment. However, after moving on to a Laguna 14BX, I regretted not just saving up for the 14BX to start with. Night and day higher quality and far more capable with the stronger motor, better stock guides, etc. If I were only doing smaller work and no resaw, I might have kept the 555ANV. I will add that tt was far far easier to keep the 555 dialed in before the extension went on, and looking back that was probably a mistake. The extension parts on the blade guides were just never right. I'd do the carter guide upgrade again in a heartbeat however.

Bottom line though - if you add up G0555, resaw extensions and fences, carter guide upgrades, etc - you'll arrive at a number that might be better spent on the larger units from the get-go. I'd go Rikon or Laguna, biggest you can wedge into your budget.

I had a 513 for a number of years. Great saw. The only reason I sold it was because I got a 20" Mini Max, and already had a steel frame 14" saw.

The 555 at 1HP , just not enough power . Great for light duty , general usage .

Blog Entries
    I have a 14" Jet band saw and it is a good one, better than most.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=m...&p=jet+bandsaw
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-04-2021 at 5:35 PM.