Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soft Starter for 5 ton AC Central Unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    It definitely is not normal for a generator to drop that low during moderate loads. You should only see the voltage drop slightly as it approaches full load.

Something you need to be aware of with diesel generators is that they need to run a near full load a good amount of time. Otherwise the exhaust system will gradually clog from particulates sticking to the exhaust pipe because the exhaust temp is not high enough to keep them burned off. I've seen it happen many times.
    That's correct Frank. The exhaust heat generated by running "hard" keeps the soot burnt out. Prolonged idling can lead to this issue. We had issues with some equipment that had DPF systems that because of a software glitch wouldn't idle up when needed. These were running 24 hours per day because of extreme cold weather. The next morning they were so plugged up they would no longer rev up to go to work. While it's not the same thing it's quite similar in what will happen with under utilization.

It definitely is not normal for a generator to drop that low during moderate loads. You should only see the voltage drop slightly as it approaches full load.
    I know it is not normal for a generator to have the voltage drop that low. The only other thing that could be done was to buy a new generator head for close to $3,000 and pray that it doesn't still have the problem. The manufacturer went cheap on the whole generator. The diesel engine is an industrial engine instead of an engine designed for use as a generator. The generator head attaches to a big steel transition plate instead of a standard bell housing. I was going to buy a better generator head from another manufacturer, but they couldn't attach to the plate.

I decided it was better to start over with a better quality generator with a better engine and generator end rather than roll the dice on a generator end that might not fix the issue. Also, the size of my old generator was marginal so my new generator is 50% larger. I never would have purchased a replacement generator just to get more power.

Blog Entries
    That makes perfect sense, Brian. Just be sure to put a good load on the generator when exercising it.

I agree a hard start kit is normally only installed as a compressor is failing. In theory they will prolong the life if installed when the pump is new.
    Very similar to a transmission flush. Done from time to time it helps but if only done when it is too late it can cause more problems.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    My money is on the start capacitor getting a little tired. I've had great luck, and longevity from the Rectorseal Kick Start ones.

Something you need to be aware of with diesel generators is that they need to run a near full load a good amount of time. Otherwise the exhaust system will gradually clog from particulates sticking to the exhaust pipe because the exhaust temp is not high enough to keep them burned off. I've seen it happen many times.

That diesel condition is called Wet Stacking