Thread: Squaring Issue

Blog Entries

Squaring Issue

Hi all and Happy Monday. I have a squaring issue. I am building a ladder style base that is is made of 3/4" ply laminated to make approximately a 1.5" thick member. The two sides are approximately 71-1/2" and the cross members are each 35" wide. Everything is held together by pocket screws. This is the second one of these I have done. The first one came out perfect when I measured the diagonals but not this one. There is a 9/16" difference. I can set up two Bessey clamps and pull it square, but I am sure it wont stay that way, Below is a pic of the "ladder" and how it will be used as the base of a Paulk inspired top. WholeView.jpg Please help me understand what I am doing wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Generally speaking if your parts are cut square they will go together square. Check your crosscut process. I guess you could get an out of square frame if the pocket screws were on opposite faces at each end of the crosspieces. If the parts are not glued, take the frame apart, square up the ends and re-assemble. If that is not possible, pull it into square and fasten a piece of ply to one face, or square it up when you attach it to the worktop.

There's not going to be very much racking resistance in a structure like that - small deviations from square are not a surprise. My suggestion would be to pull it into square and glue & screw a sheet of ply on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    There's not going to be very much racking resistance in a structure like that - small deviations from square are not a surprise. My suggestion would be to pull it into square and glue & screw a sheet of ply on top.
    I think Gary has a sound and simple solution.

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    ... Everything is held together by pocket screws...
    Nooooooooooooooooo!
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    Also agree with Gary. Some sort of surface is what will hold your square shape easily. If you are trying to save weight you could try some bracing. However, as noted, a structure like that in those dimensions has no real racking resistance.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I agree with the comment about square cuts helping to insure a square result. But sometimes things do go out slightly during the process of assembly. Along the same lines as putting a surface on the construction to bring it to square...which isn't ideal if it wasn't part of the design...corner gussets glued and screwed after bringing things square with the clamps should get you back to where you want to be. They are a good idea anyway for extra strength.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...