Thread: Granddaughter project

Blog Entries

Granddaughter project

Usually in the summer we have the grandchildren to our house for "Grandma Camp". This year our youngest two came this past week. My granddaughter wanted to make something out of wood. After a brief discussion she decided she wanted to build a box. I took her to the shop and showed her some of the available wood that we could get and she selected curly maple. We took a trip to a local lumber yard and the only piece of maple crown molding they had was curly so we took home 7 feet. They didn't have a single piece of flat stock that was curly, so off we went to a second lumber yard and they had several pieces of curly maple, but only one was suitable for what we wanted. The surface had a small bit of tear out and they were going to run it through their surface sander. When I mentioned that I was going to need to plane it down to 1/2", they did that for me as well and rand it through their surface sander.

My granddaughter is 11 so, I did all the table saw set ups and assisted her with the cross cuts for the corner miters and the crosscuts for the three pieces for the top and the plywood bottom. She applied the glue to all the pieces and tightened the clamps. She did all the sanding to remove the little bit of glue squeeze out and surface preparation. She bored the hole for the penny, I did the branding and she signed her name. I did the router work, finishing and final assembly. Here is how it turned out:
    IMG_4967.jpgIMG_4965.jpg
    And here is the owner with her project:
    IMG_4970.jpg
    We took them home on Saturday. As soon as she got home she grabbed the box and showed it to her Dad and Mom.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Nice project for you and your granddaughter Lee! Well done!

I start a turning project with 2 11yo twins and their 9 yo brother this week. Not quite as complicated as yours.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

She is serious ! And that box will never be mistaken for a cigar box make-over. But it does look a bit like a fitted dueling pistols box !
    Ask her to smile . She has talent and a loving Grampa. Good guidance, Gramps !

Grandma Camp sounds like a great idea. The box looks great too!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    She is serious ! And that box will never be mistaken for a cigar box make-over. But it does look a bit like a fitted dueling pistols box !
    Ask her to smile . She has talent and a loving Grampa. Good guidance, Gramps !
    In her defense, the sun was rather bright. I should have moved to a shaded part of the yard.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

She will always keep and cherish that box. Well done Grand Dad!

The project turned out fantastic Lee. Definitely a keepsake box.

She made good choices for the material and did a wonderful job with your help on that box!! Bravo to her! (and to you)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I love it! How old do they have to be before they can come to grandma camp? Our oldest grandchild is about 2 1/2, so we need to start planning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    I love it! How old do they have to be before they can come to grandma camp? Our oldest grandchild is about 2 1/2, so we need to start planning.
    We started with the Grandma camp at age 2. The older two are now getting summer jobs for college, so they don't come.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    We started with the Grandma camp at age 2. The older two are now getting summer jobs for college, so they don't come.
    My wife and I agree 'grandma camp' is a brilliant plan we look forward to doing ourselves someday.

Blog Entries
    Lee terrific project and a great life milestone; congrats on setting your granddaughter down the slippery slope of never being satisfied with IKEA furniture!

"Grandma camp" is a fantastic idea as others have mentioned. I'm officially stealing it And presenting to the family As my idea!

Cheers, Mike