Thread: Am I the Only One?

Blog Entries

Am I the Only One?

I used to buy and subscribe to woodworking magazines. Then the articles became uninteresting. So I stopped.
    I have stacks of them in my office, and I often will peruse them and enjoy the old copies.
    The current crop leaves me cold, I still enjoy rereading them. Occasionally I will see one for sale and buy it, but I don't find the new ones to be of much interest. I have a garage shop full of toys and I don't use them.

I have made rocking chairs for all of my children and the Brazos Rocker as well as https://www.sustainlife.org/shop/bra...ng-chair-class. I may build another because I can and am a bit borred.

Lowell, we all need a break. Sounds like you're taking one.
    I have a number of projects on the go but some days I hate to go into the shop - oh, wait, it's because it's a reorganizing job and a mess.
    I have a load of FWW magazines and never get a chance to go over them.
    I understand completely how you feel.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I used to get all of the top woodworking magazines. The internet has killed them for me. There is much more information and it is free. You do have to weed out the trash but that is fun to.
    Charlie Jones

I think for me it's two factors. One, magazines, especially "Fine Woodworking", were very helpful as I learned. I had nearly every issue up until 2018 in my book case when we moved. But I found as my skill grew I learned little in each issue. Also, I do feel that "Fine Woodworking" dumbed down the content maybe 10 years ago with a lot more article gear towards those early in the hobby. I used to be excited when "Fine Woodworking" arrived and would read it cover to cover at least a couple of times. I stopped subscribing when I realized I had 6-10 issues is my inbox that I had not even opened. Makes me sad actually. The second issue is the internet and forums. I learn a ton on forums like this now and rarely look to magazines...joe

Never thought I would say this, but after a number of ownership changes, I am losing interest in WoodSmith magazine, which was always a favorite. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

Obviously all mags are struggling, and I keep some subscriptions up, but others like Popular Mechanics and Popular Science I gave up on.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Lowell - It sounds like you are getting bored not having projects to make. At times I find the same thing happening to me. My kids have most of what they might want and I find myself lacking motivation to build things that no one will use or want.

I recently added a new hobby for what little time I have. I started delving into growing tomatoes much more deeply. Perhaps adding a new hobby would help. Or just finding some new people to build things for. Might help.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

At the Vegas show, you (attendee) were given this glossy magazine with ads, articles, etc. when you entered. You would think that someone who traveled all the way to a show specifically aimed at woodworking would be interested in something like that. All show long, we would find them just laying around on random machines or the cocktail tables in our booth. People would just walk off and leave them there. I tried to find Popular Mechanics in several of the airport convenience stores (I only seem to buy magazines when I'm traveling) and it seemed like every vendor had maybe half the periodical selection of last time I flew (pre-pandemic). Maybe mobile devices have already replaced printed magazines.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I recently added a new hobby for what little time I have. I started delving into growing tomatoes much more deeply.

Decades ago my father was carefully counting out hybred tomato seeds he had bought for planting. He commented that they cost more per ounce then gold.
    Bill D

I think it's evolution. As mentioned above, as you slide down that slope and gain more knowledge those articles become less intriguing. I started collecting magazines about 1998 or so and still go back and look at tool prices at that time. If nothing else I keep them for the plans and ideas. Building a tall clock from the 2002 issue of FWW now.

Now it seems fine woodworking takes 12 pages to instruct us how to build a simple stool. I have extensive collection, still read the old ones and rotate stacks. Yes, they have dumb ed down their mag significantly. Also, they have been recycling articles, thinking no one will notice I guess. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

I'm putting a flat screen in the garage. Fast forward, back up, freeze, commentary - watching & listening to people showing how to accomplish the tasks I'm aiming to accomplish is invaluable to me.

I bought my Dad a subscription for Christmas in year two of FWW and kept that going until about issue 120. I inherited them, read them all twice at least, and subsequently sold them all, along with my later collection. As interesting as it was to read about Frank Klauz cut dovetails with a bow saw, how to tune your 4” jointer, the utility of a Stanley 55 multiplane time and technology has moved on.

The fundamental attitude towards quality work is what I really gleaned from those old issues, and that remains today. When I want a refresher on a technique I can now usually get a video within a few seconds. I think I still have a Popular Mechanics issue from the 50’s here promising me a flying car. I think it has an ad for a Wagner Saf-T-Planer in it. Failure on both counts.

I get Popular Woodworking and Fine Woodworking. I am looking for projects that interest me. If I find one, I record it in my mind and may go back to it when I am looking for what to build. I seldom read all the articles, but skim read parts. I will not stop on these two but did drop Woodsmith and Shopsmith several years back.

Lowell, have you checked out Quercus? Shipping to the states is a bit crazy, but I find a bunch of articles that differ significantly from what I have seen in other magazines.

I have been enjoying Quercus even more than the Mortise and Tenon Magazine (if you are familiar with them). The other magazines I usually finish very quickly.