Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Titebond Glue?

This time of year where I live, Titebond PVAs have an open time of about 30 seconds. For extended open time and lack of creep, one needs to use an epoxy or plastic urea adhesive such as Unibond 800 or DAP Weldwood. The DAP product is your cheapest option if you do not already have someething.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    This time of year where I live, Titebond PVAs have an open time of about 30 seconds. For extended open time and lack of creep, one needs to use an epoxy or plastic urea adhesive such as Unibond 800 or DAP Weldwood. The DAP product is your cheapest option if you do not already have someething.
    The price these days for Weldwood PRG is really high; higher than Unibond 800 when I looked a week ago.

John

Can’t remember the name ,but there is (or was) a supplier that sold PRG in 25 pound size much cheaper than the big brand.

Mel, what is PRG?
    WoodsShop

Plastic Resin Glue

According to the folks at Titebond at the the most recent AWFS, ORIGINAL Titebond Extend will offer the least amount of creep. They also make a Titebond II Extend, which does not offer as much creep resistance as the Original version. They also recommend stirring the bottle thoroughly before using, as some of the ingredients will settle to the bottom of the bottle.

I've done a fair amount of laminate bending and used Titebond glue. No problem with springback or creep.

Sam Maloof used Titebond I and Titebond III on his laminate bent rockers. The choice was based on the color of the wood - Titebond I for light colored woods and Titebond III for dark woods.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I STILL say ,never seen yellow glue creep. White glue creeps, and shops used a lot of it. It was a problem. Pieces were sent to finishing room then came back to shop for fix. Lot of the yellow glue we used
    was for laminated stuff like round jamb heads. And that was with real ,thin wood before “Italian bending ply” was available.

If you make the laminations thin enough most any glue will work OK for bent laminations. On the other hand, even a very rigid glue might not prevent spring back or creep if the laminations are too thick for the curve being formed. I have a friend who builds beautiful Hal Taylor chairs. He uses Titebond II for the rockers and laminated back slats. Per Taylor's instructions, he always leaves the parts clamped in the form for at least 24 hours. There is no spring back and no creep. The radii are very gentle and the back slat laminations are only 0.090" thick. I don't recall what thickness the rocker laminations are, but the radius is is very large. As with many things, the devil (ie success) is in the details.

John

Maybe we are not talking about the sane stuff
    https://smile.amazon.com/Dap-00203-W...7951360&sr=8-7

I paid about $8 for this tub last year - IRRC