Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Club Cadet sending smoke signals

Club Cadet sending smoke signals

since the last repair the mower has been working stellar. In that case the tension pulley had partially seized up so the blades were not engaging. Now do so with a racket and authority and cutting great very well.

new issue showed up some smoking. Then a bit more, yesterday too much to be comfortable. Motor sounds excellent still so took the front cowl off and can see its an oil leak directly onto the exhaust. Hmm

I can see a cover that says DOHC and likely oil is coming from the bottom of that. There is a large front protective bar and also a protection plate behind that, going to take all that off.

Is there a gasket under that cover and if so do bolts loosen up over time or gasket fails? I will find out pretty soon as I take it apart and look at the manual as well. Otherwise its been working great.

thanks,

One cause of oil burning in small single cylinder motors is wear in the rings and cylinder wall.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Gaskets fail over time. If you are seeing a direct oil leak, that can simply be repaired with high temperature RTV (red Permatex, for example). Remove the cover, clean/dry all mating surfaces, apply a small bead of silicone, reinstall. Give it 12-24 hours to cure and your problem should be gone. Actually, it will be gone right away but I prefer to allow RTV gasket maker some time to cure.

Is the smoke coming from the exhaust or just rising up from the motor?

Like Dwayne I've used RTV sealant to replace a failed gasket that's hard to obtain. It does work.

In 1984 my new Chevy Cavalier was leaking oil from the valve cover. The official GM repair? They gooped on a bunch of RTV. I don't know if they even had a gasket in there. It never leaked oil again but the RTV they used poisoned the oxygen sensor.

-Tom

Rtv run a bead then finger tight on the bolts only. 24 hours latter tighten the bolts all the way. Ford Transmission gasket is nice squishy silicone but. But around each bolt is a metal sleeve. also some loose balls in holes here and there. The idea is to tighten it tight but still leave room squish over time.
    Bill D

the lowest three bolts on the cam cover were loose, middle lowest the worst. ONe right hand side is stripped so cant do that one any tighter. Its just about perfect now but will have to come apart make a gasket and get an oversize bolt.

Figured it was this cover and it is. So good for now or maybe more cuts but will get what is needed.

thanks

w

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    the lowest three bolts on the cam cover were loose, middle lowest the worst. ONe right hand side is stripped so cant do that one any tighter. Its just about perfect now but will have to come apart make a gasket and get an oversize bolt.

Figured it was this cover and it is. So good for now or maybe more cuts but will get what is needed.

thanks

w

Instead of an over sized bolt, put a "Helicoil" in it. You can get sets (inserts, tool, drill bit and tap) from Ebay, or local auto parts store. Fix it right the first time, is my moto.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Instead of an over sized bolt, put a "Helicoil" in it. You can get sets (inserts, tool, drill bit and tap) from Ebay, or local auto parts store. Fix it right the first time, is my moto.

Helicoils work great

guess there has to be enough meat there for a helicoil. I didnt look too close or needed stronger glasses. Ive drilled and taped stuff over size lots and it works great. Likely cam cover has to come off to see how much is there to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Helicoils work great

I agree! I'd helicoil it!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I agree! I'd helicoil it!
    Totally agree. Helicoil is the truth and the way. if the bolt is boogered, that’s probably why there’s a leak. The kits are expensive, but the refills are not so much.

Blog Entries
    It sounds like the same engine that is in my Simplicity. The DOHC cover has a cork gasket and it tends to leak over time, particularly if it is over tightened. A new gasket solved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post

thanks

w
    Different situation, but also similar...sometimes fasteners can loosen over time from vibration and "the effects of terrain". I have to check the (ten billion it seems) bolts that are under the two hydraulic drives on my ZTR about twice a season. From time to time, several of them tend to become less than snug, particularly left-rear, which in turn causes a very minor fluid leak because the gasket isn't compressed enough. You should probably put this kind of issue on your "things to check" from time to time list, too, as you may find it to repeat over time. 'Glad your machine it up and running well otherwise!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

thanks Jim, yeah on the vibration but even worse there is a muffler support bracket that also goes to those three lower bolts. A guy emailed me with a full time service bus and said they always found loose bolts and some you had to take the motor out to get at them. On top of that one lawn I cut is pretty bumpy, forget about drinking a coffee same time unless you wear the same colour as the coffee.

These only three that show any sign of leaking and the only three that were loose. Thanks on the mention of he cork gasket and was able to see a bit in one photo plus they had used a sealer on it on top. NOt recommended but I do that as well and last time on the 92 buick diff after a fluid change. Car never had any leaks even at 25 year old.

There is a torque value and sequence for that OHC cover but could not find it. Can go by feel. Helicoil is not a problem as long as there is enough meat there, I get its a good way to do a repair, if this is the edge of a casting and it is then there has to be enough material there, you are drilling over size and putting something larger in which means there will be less casting there. The lowest bolt head which had the largest leak has been replaced already so not sure what was done there if oversize. that one grabs really well and now is tighter than it should be. It worked perfectly so if it buys some time now then end of season rest comes apart. Good there are tons of you tubes on those models. I could have looked up the valve cover likely a you tube but good info from all of you. Thanks.

Some blue loctite on those problem bolts should keep them from shaking loose.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation