Thread: Olympics in 4K.

Blog Entries

Olympics in 4K.

Anybody trying to watch the Olympics in 4K? Whenever I switch over, the image colors are quite faded compared to the regular HD image, so I switch back. Color saturation is more important to me than detail I wouldn't notice unless I pull my chair up to within 6 feet of my 5 YO Samsung 65" curved screen TV. YouTube content is spectacular in most cases.
    NOW you tell me...

I have never watched the Olympics and probably never will....just don't care which country has the faster runner or swimmer or rower.... etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Anybody trying to watch the Olympics in 4K? Whenever I switch over, the image colors are quite faded compared to the regular HD image, so I switch back. Color saturation is more important to me than detail I wouldn't notice unless I pull my chair up to within 6 feet of my 5 YO Samsung 65" curved screen TV. YouTube content is spectacular in most cases.
    Where are you finding them in 4K? This is on YouTube? I thought NBC had a lockdown on this stuff.

BTW, to get the full measure of the 4K experience, you should be sitting fairly close to the screen. We have a 75” Sony 940D, and we’re sitting 4 feet away from it. Done right, it’s really trippy.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 07-31-2021 at 3:28 AM.

4k's been around for 9 years now, and Ole's 4k 'rating' above, and not 5-star it sounds, is the very first I've ever heard ANYONE online or in person mention a 4k picture -- and I notice the letters "8k" in ads recently...

Half the channels I'm paying Dish over $100 a month for aren't even in 1080 yet. And I've read that via-antenna-HD is superior to cable or sat HD... The 4k demo vids I see on big-box store TV's just don't seem any better than any good BluRay on my several-year-old Sharp 70" Aquos Quattron...

Seems the end-user hi-def technology is severely lacking...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    4k's been around for 9 years now, and Ole's 4k 'rating' above, and not 5-star it sounds, is the very first I've ever heard ANYONE online or in person mention a 4k picture -- and I notice the letters "8k" in ads recently...

Half the channels I'm paying Dish over $100 a month for aren't even in 1080 yet. And I've read that via-antenna-HD is superior to cable or sat HD... The 4k demo vids I see on big-box store TV's just don't seem any better than any good BluRay on my several-year-old Sharp 70" Aquos Quattron...

Seems the end-user hi-def technology is severely lacking...
    The point of 4K is not that the picture is sharper, it’s that it is _bigger_. To really appreciate it, you have to experience it as a panorama.

If Dish is offering many channels that aren’t even in HD, that’s a comment on _them_. Seriously low rent. I have DirecTV (and I absolutely _hate_ what AT&T has been doing to them, trying desperately to drive it into the ground, I’ve had it since the first satellite was launched,) and the difference between the satellite feed and the terrestrial feed on local channels is surprisingly hard to detect.

FWIW, big box store demos are designed to sell, not to educate.

Sadly I haven't watched any of the Olympics this year. Same is true with pro sports with golf being the only exception. When players brought politics into sports it just took all of the fun out of it. It does give me more time for other activities like woodworking. My wood, tools and projects know that the shop is a no politics zone, kind of like the Thanksgiving table is.

I enjoy watching sports that I have participated in as a young man. I especially like track, long distance running, basketball and anything involving bicycles. Gymnastics not so much since I never did anything like that. I watched women's beach volleyball the other day and enjoyed it, although I've never done that.

Now, if they'd only have pickleball as an Olympic sport

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I talked my Parents into buying our first color TV, to watch the 1968 Summer Olympics. I remember it was a 19" Zenith. I think it cost $279. I bought my helpers 46" 4k TV's for Christmas, a couple of years ago, for about that same amount of money, only the money is worth a Lot less these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I enjoy watching sports that I have participated in as a young man. I especially like track, long distance running, basketball and anything involving bicycles. Gymnastics not so much since I never did anything like that. I watched women's beach volleyball the other day and enjoyed it, although I've never done that.

Now, if they'd only have pickleball as an Olympic sport

Mike
    I enjoy pretty much all the sports during the summer Olympic and watch whenever I can.

We just picked up pickle ball a couple weeks ago. My 7yo loves it!

I enjoy seeing all those wierd sports you never see at any other time,. like fencing, kayaks on a river, etc. Not that I understand the scoring or finer points of the game. I heard they were going to bring back dancing
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Watching quite a bit of Olympic content. Swimming, diving, weightlifting, track and field. Hammer throw is pretty cool. I did get quite a bit of tech suggestions over on the AVS Forum, none of which I was able to translate into better color saturation on my Comcast 4K feed.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 08-03-2021 at 10:06 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Watching quite a bit of Olympic content. Swimming, diving, weightlifting, track and field. Hammer throw is pretty cool. I did get quite a bit of tech suggestions over on the AVS Forum, none of which I was able to translate into better color saturation on my Comcast 4K feed.
    So, Comcast has a 4K “feed”? Is that some streaming thing?