Thread: turning dust collector on with a switch?

turning dust collector on with a switch?

I have two powermatic 1300TX dust collectors that I'd like to turn on and off with a switch, but these dust collectors have an on/off control box that doesn't turn back on when you lose power. Can this be bypassed? On most of these collectors you just leave the on/off switch on all the time and control it with the switch on the wall you wire up.

Those are magnetic switches/contactors and that's normal operation for them. They are common on 240v induction motor driven equipment, even though the feature makes more sense for a tool with a blade than something like a dust collector. You can conceivably replace them with an appropriately spec'ed contactor and control the contactor with either low voltage or 120v...I use the latter for my system. You may want to check the wiring diagram for things as they are now first, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Travis how often do you anticipate losing power ? I would just leave the magnetic starters as is and figure out a remote control to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    I have two powermatic 1300TX dust collectors that I'd like to turn on and off with a switch, but these dust collectors have an on/off control box that doesn't turn back on when you lose power. Can this be bypassed? On most of these collectors you just leave the on/off switch on all the time and control it with the switch on the wall you wire up.
    post a picture of the inside of the control box, preferably with the wiring diagram shown
    should be fairly easy to use a 2pole form c relay to control both dust collectors
    How many points do you want to turn on/off at? remote control y/n?
    Ron

Probably just need to wire in a NO start switch in parallel with the existing start switch. You could use a maintained switch but that seems like a poor decision since it gains nothing and loses a little safety. As long as you are adding one add a few more at likely locations.
    Bil lD

I see this is an old post but I have the same issues as the original poster. I have a Long Ranger controller from PSI plugged into a 220v receptacle. The DC is plugged into this controller which is wired up to micro switches on each blast gate so when I open a blast gate, a signal is sent to the controller to power it on. This worked great with my old JET DC with a mechanical switch left in the on position plugged into the controller. My newer Powermatic has a magnetic switch that needs to be activated with the remote or a button on the switch so it will not turn on simply by restoring power to the outlet. I bought a mechanical switch but unsure about how to wire it in order to bypass or replace the magnetic switch.

Resized_20210316_162726.jpgResized_20210315_215346.jpeg

For a few years I had my DC plugged into an outlet that was switched with a 220V/30A regular switch (same as a light switch but rated for the voltage/current).

I later added a relay box triggered by a household outlet remote control (so the power from the outlet powered the relay that operated the DC). Was a cheap/effective remote.