Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pressure treated wood for outdoor bench

Heat treated lumber is what I’d be looking at. Not pressure treated. If only for the fact that PT is going to be soaking wet when you buy it and you’ll have to wait for a couple few weeks for it to be dry enough to work with..

There are different types of treated lumber. It would be helpful to pay attention to the details when arguing over its use. One method of treating raw lumber is to use a vacuum chamber and another is to inject the chemicals. There are also different applications for different types. I would not use heavy duty ground contract for a deck planks or hand rails, but I'd use it for the joists, and it really should be used any time it is in contact with the ground. Regardless, it all has chemicals to think about. I've gotten infections from splinters, and speak from personal experience. Don't use the stuff (regardless of type) indoors, don't burn it in your campfire to make smores, and don't let splinters fester.

You can buy Kiln Dried After Treatment lumber...KDAT... it is treated then kiln dried... it is normally a higher grade of lumber also... You pay a dollar or two more but it is well worth it...
    Do a search for it... I buy mine from Martins Native Lumber, Dayton, VA.. There are several companies that do it..
    Last edited by Ed Aumiller; 07-31-2021 at 4:12 PM. Reason: grammar