Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rx for pickle juice??

Blog Entries
    Same idea as most guys would not go on a long walk, wasting valuable time, but they will paly a round of golf and not feel embarrassed to walk in nature while doing something positive. Mark Twain said that golf was a good walk ruined.
    It was my luck to be one of the few people to make money on a golf course. Never played, my job was being the caddy.

It was a good walk and money to show for it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for all the answers.

In my case, there was no exercise involved, just sitting a couple hours in front of the computer before bed. To make it worse, or better, it only happens intermittently like once a week.

I have been taking a spoonfull of dill pickle juice, and my pickles are running dry, so I will go to the market today and see if they have jars of juice.

Thanks again, and I will report after trying it for a while, a shot every evening.

Picklepuss
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Thanks for all the answers.

In my case, there was no exercise involved, just sitting a couple hours in front of the computer before bed. To make it worse, or better, it only happens intermittently like once a week.

I have been taking a spoonfull of dill pickle juice, and my pickles are running dry, so I will go to the market today and see if they have jars of juice.

Thanks again, and I will report after trying it for a while, a shot every evening.

Picklepuss
    My first question is would the juice in a jar of olives have the same effect?

It also sounds like you are using this as a preventative, is that correct?

Would one type of pickle be more efficacious than another? (i.e. straight dill being better than Kosher or garlic pickles)

Maybe pickles should be on my next shopping list.

DAMHIK waking up to a leg cramp is no fun.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

When the cramps come late at night after a day of sweating the pickle juice works for me. If there's no juice in the pickle jar the teaspoon of mustard works too. Dunno why, but I'm glad they work, those cramps can be painful.

My wife gave me a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar for leg cramps. It worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My first question is would the juice in a jar of olives have the same effect?
    I'd love to believe that's true: I'm addicted to the Trader Joes garlic-stuffed olives, so there's always a jar in the fridge anyway.
    Pickles, not so much.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    My wife gave me a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar for leg cramps. It worked for me.

Doctor put me on Magnesium for cramps. Two pills before bed time each night. Used to take calcium, till I finally figured out that my kidney stones were calcium. Recently had back spasm. Rubbed some Theraworx on it, and in a few moments pain was lessened. Two more days of twice a day, and pain was gone.Theraworx is a suspension of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) in water, along with aloe juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Or maybe just eat a pickle.
    Or maybe some pickled beets, a favorite around here. We grow beets and pickle them, or just pickle store-bought beets when the garden is bare.

Look up HotShot. Le g cramps like described are misbehaving nerves, not mineral imbalance. Taste on pickle juice resets nerves. Fascinating scientific story.

Blog Entries
    Look up HotShot.
    > https://teamhotshot.com

Hmm, that looks like some of us would be trading leg cramps for heart burn. (ginger gives me heart burn)

Tried some pickle juice a few nights ago. Had a leg cramp the next morning. Maybe it isn't good as a preventive.

Bruce mentioned magnesium supplements. So far after taking them in the evening for two days there haven't been any morning cramps.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-01-2021 at 4:27 PM. Reason: wording

I have used Hotshot for years. Just yesterday mid afternoon sitting too long at the computer and had a nasty cramp. Slugged down a Hotshot a a few minutes later total relief. The science is interesting behind it. Might cost a bit but I’ve had times in the middle of the night I’d burn a Franklin if it made the pain go away!

Just looked at the Hot Shot info.

Sounds like maybe I should just eat a Jalapeno pepper and wash it down with pickle juice.

I am trying pickle juice each day as a preventative. As I said this is not an every day, or even week occurrence with me, so it may take a while for evidence of results. I looked for dill pickle juice at the store today, but no luck, need to try another store.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

You can buy dry pickling spices and mix your own pickle juice. My BIL uses it as dry rub to roast a chicken.
    Bill D

My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    I like pickles.
    I like milk.
    But that's just...wrong.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.