Thread: Rx for pickle juice??

Ditto.........
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    I think I will eat one now.

I didn't read that anyone suspected the vinegar (acetic acid) of playing a role in the cramps.

I've read some articles that claim that lemon juice/orange juice or citric acid tablets reduce the incidence of cramps.

We adjust the pH in soil to make it more prone to absorb nutrients.

Could it be the case that consuming salt in acidic liquid helps the muscles absorb it quicker? I have no idea. Am not a doctor or scientist. Do love pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    On this same note, V8 Juice (the regular stuff, not low-sodium) is a good pre-ride drink for me. I often have half a can before the ride, then finish can afterward.

Erik
    Erik,

Thanks for posting this and your earlier comment regarding pickle "nectar" as I'll call it (I done a bit of hobby canning over the years ). I've never made the connection to pickle juice but understand issues with cycling and staying hydrated. I've got a ready supply on hand in my pantry and will give it a try.

Pickles_2015.jpg Pickles2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 08-09-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I have used Hotshot for years.... The science is interesting behind it...
    I think they may be onto something with the whole "crazy nerves" thing. Something I have noticed is that if you haven't ridden in a while, then do some workout that involves really high cadence intervals, certain muscle groups still feel like they are going haywire with signals for a while afterward. It's difficult to explain but during that period, if I did something like flex my calves or hamstrings, "Pow", instant charley-horse. And it happens even if your hydration is good. So, I think there is an element of this that is not necessarily electrolyte levels. That being said, I have also cramped from being dehydrated. So, maybe two different factors going on? Bernie, thanks for the tip. I'm going to order some of that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    Erik,

Thanks for posting this and your earlier comment regarding pickle "nectar" as I'll call it (I done a bit of hobby canning over the years ). I've never made the connection to pickle juice but understand issues with cycling and staying hydrated. I've got a ready supply on hand in my pantry and will give it a try.

Pickles_2015.jpg Pickles2.jpg
    Mike, send some of those to Austin

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

leg cramps are magnesium at least heard from several people

Acid reflux take a spoon of apple cidar vinegar. That works or take a spoon a day as preventative.

My mom had it for years and one spoon of apple cidar shut it down in a minute every time. I mentioned it to several doctors and they looked at me like I was nuts and not one of them cared enough to look it up and learn something they didnt know. Wanted her on some drug for it. Ive got that maybe once a year or twice and if it happens ive tested it myself and it works, took a minute maybe for it to stop.

Blog Entries
    Reviving this thread to mention my own experience.

After reading this a bit of pickle juice was consumed before going to bed. It was slightly upsetting to my stomach. Still had leg cramps the next morning around 4:00 or 5:00am.

Scott Clausen mentioned a magnesium citrate suplement. Since we were getting groceries that day a bottle of magnesium citrate was purchased. Since taking a 400mg dose at night before bed or with my evening medications the only time my cramps have returned are the time the magnesium was forgotten.

There has still been a little numbness or feeling of pre-cramping in my legs in the morning but that is easily dispelled by wiggling my toes.

Thanks Scott,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

We have a little Dairy Bar close by .Noticed the other day they have "Frozen pickle juice" on the menu
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 09-06-2021 at 11:20 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    We have a little Dairy Bar close by .Noticed the other day they have "Frozen pickle juice" on the menu
    This made me think of a bar, Oleg's, that was in Berkeley many years ago.

They served a drink called a Pisco Sour advertised as being for the heartbroken. It may not have had pickle juice, but it tasted like it did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisco_sour

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The joke thread has a picture of some Pickle milk for sale. I think it is called "pilk". I assume it is just pickle juice.
    Bill D

I will also follow up, since starting the thread I have been taking a spoonful of PJ most nights, and have had several cramp starts while sitting at the computer, but I got up quickly and they stopped.

I have not had any wake me up at night, but that didn't happen often before, so that is a 'maybe' report.

I have not had any BIG cramps sitting at the computer.

I guess I am saying it seems to help me, but does not eliminate cramps. Not definitive, but it's all I got.

My doctor never said how much, how often or what time of day to take it. Next time I see him I will ask those questions.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Five years ago, the doc told me to drink a pint of tonic water a day, the stuff with the quinine in it. And that helps alot. Mrs. wants me to leave the gin out of it though. Gotta put something in it. Tastes nasty. Some cramps are in general due to dehydration, some are due to lack of potassium, some due to lack of magnesium. I tried taking a magnesium supplement for a while. I do sometimes have a hydration problem. Mostly too much hydration. I can drink a gallon of ice tea, four diet sodas and a gallon of water in a days time. In winter, I often start with 2 pints of hot tea in the morning. (never started drinkiing coffee)