Thread: Mini greenhouse in cedar

Mini greenhouse in cedar

Back in April I started building a mini greenhouse to replace the cold frame I built for my wife around 1984. The cold frame has been patched up a few times, but is nearing its end. Besides, it no longer fits the way she gardens.

Old.jpg

I spent our kids' inheritance on some 12-foot cedar 2 x 6 material. Here's a dry test fit early on. I discovered that I had cut one the mortises in the wrong place. Fortunately the patched spot won't be visible.

DryFit.jpg

I made the tongue and groove pieces for the back from cedar that was once part of a friend's parents' sauna.

TNG.jpg

Shop time has been scarce, making progress slow. Here's the end result.

IMG_3507.jpg IMG_3512.jpg IMG_3514.jpg

The joints are all loose tenons, with mortises cut using a slot mortiser. I used West Systems epoxy for assembly. The finish is clear Penofin Ultra Premium Stain. The top exposed edges of all rails are sloped to shed water. The same for the exposed tops of the tongue and groove pieces.

By the way, if you change the router bit in your slot mortiser, don't forget to lock the router in its base before resuming work. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Jay Aubuchon; 07-27-2021 at 9:47 PM.

That's pretty cool Jay. I like the molding around the doors to hold the glass in, the slatted shelfs, and the hardware...Pretty Neat !! I'm sure your wife will be thrilled with that setup. Good Job.

Jay, a very practical project that looks good too. Nice.

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I take it that it will soon migrate outdoors. If that is the case be sure to place a paver under the feet to prevent rot and staining.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I take it that it will soon migrate outdoors. If that is the case be sure to place a paver under the feet to prevent rot and staining.
    Yes, when in use, it will be on our concrete patio. I did pad the leg bottoms with epoxy. Off season, it will probably move to our screen porch.

Very nice project Jay. I may have to add this to the To-Do list. Will this be primarily in service March to eagerly May?

Very nice example of utility meshed with elegance. The proportions and hardware are eye catching. Great photography as well. Thanks for sharing!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Jay that is lovely.
    The proportions and look are a delight. The door frames give it a very solid look.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Will this be primarily in service March to eagerly May?
    The gardener says that’s right. She is also going to try growing lettuce in it this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Very nice example of utility meshed with elegance.
    That’s exactly what I was trying for. Thanks to all for your encouraging comments!