Thread: stain and finishing exterior wood door

stain and finishing exterior wood door

I have an existing wood door that is stained and sealed with spar urethane. It faces southest and gets direct sun on it on the bottom 1/3rd of the door. I refinish and restain it every 3-4 years to keep it looking nice. Can I add 2 coats to the whole door and an extra 2-3 coats to the sun exposed area? If yes which would be better do the bottom third coats first then 2 coats on the whole door or 2 coats on the whole door then the bottom third coats? I am guess bottom third coats first then 2 whole coats, but not sure?

Thanks Brian
    Brian

What specific finish are you using Brian? Most spar varnishes aren't really very good with direct sun exposure, and if your stain is at all dark the effect is magnified. Even the top end exterior varnishes, like Epifanes require at least one maintenance coat every year. Not doing anything for 3 or 4 years pretty much guarantees a major rehab, as you are now doing.

My recommendation is either to switch to a top quality exterior varnish, oil or water based, and commit to doing a yearly maintenance coat, or switch to a product like Cetol Door and Window finish. It comes in several colors (not to be used with stain and not needed) and will last at least a couple of years before requiring a maintenance coat. The good news is maintenance does not require stripping, etc. - clean, lightly sand, apply another coat.

Another option would be to install a full glass vented storm door on the outside and add 3M's heat and UV absorbing film on the inside. The venting keeps the temperature under control and the film prevents UV breakdown of the finish for a long time. I did this on a South facing door 4 or 5 years ago and it has required 0 maintenance so far. Sound good?

In any case, I would not contemplate more or less coats on different parts of the door. Moisture transmission would not be uniform and could lead to warping.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    What specific finish are you using Brian? Most spar varnishes aren't really very good with direct sun exposure, and if your stain is at all dark the effect is magnified. Even the top end exterior varnishes, like Epifanes require at least one maintenance coat every year. Not doing anything for 3 or 4 years pretty much guarantees a major rehab, as you are now doing.

My recommendation is either to switch to a top quality exterior varnish, oil or water based, and commit to doing a yearly maintenance coat, or switch to a product like Cetol Door and Window finish. It comes in several colors (not to be used with stain and not needed) and will last at least a couple of years before requiring a maintenance coat. The good news is maintenance does not require stripping, etc. - clean, lightly sand, apply another coat.

Another option would be to install a full glass vented storm door on the outside and add 3M's heat and UV absorbing film on the inside. The venting keeps the temperature under control and the film prevents UV breakdown of the finish for a long time. I did this on a South facing door 4 or 5 years ago and it has required 0 maintenance so far. Sound good?

In any case, I would not contemplate more or less coats on different parts of the door. Moisture transmission would not be uniform and could lead to warping.

John

Doors are stained english chestnut and using Helmsman spar urethane on them. Not sure how a different finish would react going over the existing Helmsman? This year I will touch up using this and add 3-4 coats over the whole door. Can I use other more durable finishes right over the Helmsman's? thanks for your help. brian
    Brian

Helmsman spar varnish is one of the ones in the not very good category. It won't last a year in direct 4 season weather exposure. Fortunately, you used it on a door so it lasts a little while longer. I can't recommend applying another product over what you have; I've never tried it. My gut tells me it's not a good idea though.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Helmsman spar varnish is one of the ones in the not very good category. It won't last a year in direct 4 season weather exposure. Fortunately, you used it on a door so it lasts a little while longer. I can't recommend applying another product over what you have; I've never tried it. My gut tells me it's not a good idea though.

John
    John< I appreciate your help. Brian
    Brian

finished product.

front door complete.jpg
    Brian

Looks good Brian.

John