Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it true?? Supernova 2 discontinued ????

Is it true?? Supernova 2 discontinued ????

Is it all of the Super Nova 2 's , or just certain models ??

I don’t know if they are being fully discontinued but they appear to being replaced with a new model and of course a higher price.

I think they've fixed the key's backward operating direction to be intuitive and in-line with how others work.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I think they've fixed the key's backward operating direction to be intuitive and in-line with how others work.
    Oh No! I've grown rather fond of the tightening direction.

I'm glad I have a lifetime supply of the existing chucks.

I can always use one more chuck, but I can not imagine having three that turn one way and one that is reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    WHAT???? They operate backwards?????

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    I can always use one more chuck, but I can not imagine having three that turn one way and one that is reverse.
    Same here. At last count I have 20 chucks and they all tighten the same way. BTW, the perception of right or wrong way may depend on one's use. Turning right to tighten in a recess, which I nearly always use on bowls and platters, feels natural....

One thing I've done for years which might help some: I use a vibrating engraver to draw a circular arrow around the socket for the key and write the word "OUT", then highlight that with a red sharpie. Might help a student, visitor, me during a senior moment (rare, of course. ha.).

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    WHAT???? They operate backwards?????
    Well.... yes, sorta. Most of us think turn CW to close (contracting of the jaws). It's a righty tighty kinda thing. And this is the way my Vicmarc chuck works (and I think most other brands too). But the Novas turn ccw to close the jaws. I have 3 novas and there is an arrow embossed on the keyholes to indicate which way to turn for contracting jaws. I'm not really complaining. It's just different and I've gotten used to it (mostly). I had read the new novas were the opposite (CW in) and that is why I surmised it was the reason for the discontinuation of the old style. Long term this move might devaluate the old style ones like many of us have because, as was said who wants a bunch of chucks working in opposite directions.

The operating direction is not the only change.
    The new Pro-Tek models have other features that are an improvement over the originals.
    I personally couldn't care less which direction you need to turn to operate them
    I know some people can't grasp the concept and have problems, I don't get it.
    https://www.teknatool.com/products/c...series-chucks/

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    The operating direction is not the only change.
    The new Pro-Tek models have other features that are an improvement over the originals.
    I see the new SN2 models have a red backing plate as an "additional safety measure." Yikes, I didn't know my non-red backing plates were a hazard.

Reinforcing the backing plate with "stranded glass fibers for extreme durability" might be new, don't know. I haven't seen an old one fail.

I see the screw design has changed from hex key to torx.

They apparently still have the ball end hex key for tightening jaws. This has been problematical for years. I cut off the ball end.

Where's my charge card? I see they include a branded "NOVA microfiber workshop towel (11.5″ x 10.5″) to help keep your chuck and jaws well maintained."

https://www.teknatool.com/products/c...series-chucks/

JKJ

I’ve got to admit, I don’t understand what the red backing plate does from a safety perspective. ‘If you can see this you’ve done something wrong!’? Otherwise I don’t get it.

I have a couple of the new style Supernova IIs.
    I had a couple of direct thread G3s for the smaller lathe I used to have. For whatever reason the G3s felt more solid to me in use.
    I don't like the ball end hex wrench. It makes it harder to use with one hand while holding the work piece with the other hand. A longer one with no ball end is on my tool shopping list.
    The red backing plate has index hole/marks on it but I'm not sure how I would take advantage of that feature. Is there some corresponding feature on Nova lathes that those indexing marks work with?
    The backing plate may prevent fingers, tools or debris from inadvertently getting in there but that doesn't seem like a huge risk to me. Does the backing plate help reduce flex or vibration in the chuck?

I like the t-handled hex wrench for changing jaws. Now it doesn't look like just another L-shaped hex key to get lost. But I hate Nova's worm screw. It's just too short and doesn't hold that well. So much so I won't use it. If I want to use a worm screw I turn to my Vicmarc.

I said there were more changes, I never said any of them made any sense.
    Some days you really wonder who's running the show at Teknatool.
    I also find it pretty funny that now the chucks have a more rust resistant finish you get a little towel to wipe them down. Raise your hand if you wipe down your chuck when you're done working for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    At last count I have 20 chucks JKJ
    Really?? You might want to have a look here: https://iocdf.org/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6ZO...4aApRxEALw_wcB

I thought I was bad with my 10 or 11.